Not lyrics, just one sentence I need translated.

Thread: Not lyrics, just one sentence I need translated.

Tags: None
  1. mirjetaxo8 said:

Default Not lyrics, just one sentence I need translated.

How to you say and write "St. Louis can't handle us!" in Russian?

Thanks ahead of time.

TheNuttyOne said:

The best I can come up with is:
    "Сент-Луис не выдержыт нас" (Sent-luis ne vyderzhyt nas) (will not)
    "Сент-Луис не сможет выдержaть нас (Sent-luis ne smozhet vyderzhat' nas) (can not)

the verb "выдержит" is more like 'withstand'

maybe someone has a better suggestion

3. Novarri said:

I'm thinking the first option should be выдержит (ending in English "-it") instead of выдержыт ("-yt") because regular verbs never conjugate with a "ы" in them, no? Or is this an irregular verb?

Personally I think the second option is the better one; saying "they can't withstand us" seems a bit more challenging. I'd say "может" (mozhet) instead of "сможет," just because the latter is in the future (it won't be able to) whereas the former is in the present (it can't), and your sentence was "can't handle us."

You might be able to use a version of "they can't handle us," and say something like: "Сент-Луис не может справиться с нами" (Saint-Louis ne mozhet spravitsya s nami (say the last two together, as "snami" and not as two separate words "s nami"), "St. Louis can't deal with us (it's something along the lines of "~ can't cope with us)").

Still, just to be careful I wouldn't go with my suggestion until someone else comes in and says it'd work (just to make sure I've got the spelling and pronunciation right, and that I'm using an appropriate word). There's probably a good idiom for what you're going for here, but I'm not terribly knowledgeable in the realm of idiomatic expressions...

TheNuttyOne said:

Grammar was never my best subject .