Learning English by Listening

Thread: Learning English by Listening

Tags: None
  1. mexico62 said:

Hi Teshka, probably you mention a poem that I post in the poetry forum, it´s because I like to write poetry in spanish, and now I´m trying to translate to english to share my thinkings with our friends, hope is the one you mention, is called "good bye to a friend" I post it because I lost a friend some years ago and tried to express what I felt when he left this world, but as I read a Frankie Jasmine´s poem about a friend she lost, (you can read her poems about Baris Akarsu in the same forum), I wanted to share with her my emotions.
    But as this thread is about music, I think it would be not useful here, but hope you can check it, to tell us if it´s what you talked about.

Nevertheless, if some of you, dear friends, post songs to practice, we can continue this good idea started by Dragonfly, and hope Dragonfly, can come back to help us. Please keep in touch and thanks.

Frankie Jasmine said:

Mexico62: I want to transcribe the Mr. & Mrs. song because that's "unfinished business"! Give me a day or two. Sorry . . . I can see I'm too slow for the likes of you!!! You are a go-getter!! Hey! Things are slow in Kentucky . . . I thought of things as going slow or being taken slowly in Mexico too--is that not true? Or, if it is true, how do you fit in, being such an eager person? By the way, I like your eagerness.

3. mexico62 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie Jasmine View Post
    Mexico62: I want to transcribe the Mr. & Mrs. song because that's "unfinished business"! Give me a day or two. Sorry . . . I can see I'm too slow for the likes of you!!! You are a go-getter!! Hey! Things are slow in Kentucky . . . I thought of things as going slow or being taken slowly in Mexico too--is that not true? Or, if it is true, how do you fit in, being such an eager person? By the way, I like your eagerness.
    Hi F. J., of course we have that part pending, but don´t worry, take your time, maybe I seem to be in a hurry, because I like a lot to enjoy this place and learn at the same time, but you are right, we must do so many things and the time is not always in our side (as Rolling stones said), so is better to do one thing at a time but with the heart in it, and I promise you I´ll try to slow down a little, Gracias de nuevo. (thanks again).

P. S., And you are right in most parts in México things are going so slowly, but I try to be patient, as you are (patient) with me.

Frankie Jasmine said:

A new song to transcribe for English learners! I chose pretty Norah Jones again. This Studio Q version is as good and clear as the recorded version, plus it shows her actually singing. That leaves some option for lip-reading! For now I am going to assign this song level: MEDIUM.
    Have Fun!!!

"LITTLE BROKEN HEARTS"

[oVE6jF8Ut1E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=oVE6jF8Ut1E[/video]

5. mexico62 said:

Hi F. J., thank you for this awesome song, I´m falling in love with the voice of Norah Jones, I will start to write my version of the song, but I will give time, hope some friends want to participate and make their try, if not I will post my transcription, bye for now, gracias amiga.

Frankie Jasmine said:

De nada. I just love Miss Norah. Post whenever you wish! Anyone else wanting to transcribe can just listen to the video, not reading your transcription. (That's what I did on another thread for Moon; Mixalopoulos had transcribed the song, but I didn't read his version until I had already transcribed my own. BTW, it had some southern lingo and accent, and Mixalopoulos did a fantastic job in hearing what the guy was saying--I was impressed!)

Frankie Jasmine said:

I was going to do one video at a time, but that may be too slow and uninteresting. So . . . Tonight I add the beautiful, unusual voice of EMMY ROSSUM singing "The Great Divide." This song is rated "Easy" for now, because there is repetition within the song and quite a bit of instrumentals:

[Please excuse any ads]

[miBvlfArLpo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miBvlfArLpo&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

8. mexico62 said:

Hi F. J., you are so right, I´m going to work with the song you posted of Norah Jones "Little Broken Hearts", and as soon as I can I will post my (misheard) version of the song. Thank you for your time and dedication.

Frankie Jasmine said:

veryclever1980 posted this song. It is so beautiful, that I could not resist putting it on this thread. Believe me, I very much like male singers too--but usually in languages other than English!

TORI AMOS (American - classically trained mezzo-soprano/songwriter) - "WINTER"

Rating: HARD!

Pro:
    *Tori Amos's diction (pronunciation) is excellent.
    *Lots of close-up shots, so help with lip-reading!

Con:
    *There are a lot of verses in this song!

[KWmETxWM0h0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWmETxWM0h0&feature=player_embedded[/video]
    Last edited by Frankie Jasmine; 08-24-2012 at 06:10 PM.

dragonfly93 said:

Oh my goodness, I'm terribly sorry about my disappearance! Who still needs lyrics? Because I'd totally forgotten about this thread (I don't get notifications... o___O) and I'd be glad to help, but I don't know where you're at right now... When I first opened this thread, it wasn't popular at all, so I never checked (it's been over two years now).

And the Mr. & Ms. song... (next time I'll pick something in clearer English lol)

Love Is Not A Reason To Cry

Love is not a reason to cry

The first time I saw you
    You were looking at me
    My heart began to beat so fast
    And your eyes—they told me
    You are my destiny
    And I should forget all the past

The first time I saw you
    You were sad and alone
    Somebody just broke your heart
    And I told you, my girl
    It’s ok, don’t you cry
    Finish line could be a new start

You showed me how to fly
    With your love and your smile
    You just gave me reason to live
    Day by day night by night
    I will be by your side
    Wanna* be the air that you breathe

Love is not a reason to cry ...

*note: "want to" is often contracted to "wanna"... it's not proper English, and as such shouldn't be spelt like this, but it's become increasingly common (also the contraction "gonna", i.e., "going to")

Ok, for a song in clearer English: Gavin Mikhail (he's American... he has very clear English. He does covers of other people's songs as well as composing his own, most often accompanied by piano.)

Here is a song by Linkin Park that is covered by Gavin...

New Divide

[GR3y_fGiGE4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR3y_fGiGE4[/video]
    Last edited by dragonfly93; 09-04-2012 at 04:56 PM.
    Minä olen horjunut, epäilen enemmän kuin ennen
    Mutta halusit ihmisen, sen viat, sen heikkouden

Frankie Jasmine said:

Dearest dragonfly,

Didn't want to "steal" your thread!! Sorry! It was so good and you were gone for so long. Please just consider me a substitute. I will follow through on "Litttle Broken Hearts," "Great Divide," and "Winter," since I posted them. If anyone non-English chooses to transcribe them, I will do my own very closely listened to transcription to follow-up. (The lyrics on most lyrics sites and even on pamphlets with the CD are often not matched to the actual song/video).

I hope if you read back through--there are only two pages between your start of the thread and where I "Substituted"--you will easily see what we've done. It was requested that there be a rating system for each song. Please take a look at the list of ratings (according to difficulty to transcribe); also on each song I rated the song and told why I gave that rating. After following-through on the three songs left un-transcribed which I posted, I will politely bow out . . . so you can get on with your thread!! It truly was a good idea. I'd love to promote it on the other language threads somehow!!

12. mexico62 said:

Thank you Frankie Jasmine and Dragonfly93, you are doing a good effort to help us to learn and improve our english, continue this great work. Soon you will see my versions of those beautiful songs.

dragonfly93 said:

@Frankie: No, I really appreciate it! And if I disappear for a few days at a time, then by all means you can step in! I shall appoint you my vice-moderator
    And I read through all the posts already, and you guys are all doing a good job! Glad to see this thread's being put to such good use

@mexico62: Sorry I don't know your name! We would love to see your versions I'm glad this is helping you.
    Minä olen horjunut, epäilen enemmän kuin ennen
    Mutta halusit ihmisen, sen viat, sen heikkouden

Frankie Jasmine said:

Wow! "vice Moderator!" And there was no job description with the title . . . I might just get carried away with the meaning of "vice"!!!

---------

On the serious side, my dragonfly93, dear, thank you for being so generous and sweet about the whole thing!!

Disconnected said:

Hi,

to the native "British English" speakers:

What does Neil Tennant is actually supposed to say in that strophe I enclosed in bold writing?

"Each morning after Sunblest
    Feel the benefit, mental arithmetic
    I waited by the staffroom
    In time for benediction
    Living a law just short of delusion
    When we fall in love there's confusion
    This must be the place I waited years to leave

To our voices nobody's listening
    We shiver in the rain by the touchline
    Then a coach ride to the station
    "My lord, the carriage awaiteth!"
    And how
    How long?

I'm listening to the words I thought I'd never hear again
    A litany of saints and other ordinary men
    Kneeling on the parquet
    Whatever has gone wrong?
    The fear and feeling hopelessness
    I don't want to belong

I dreamt I was back in uniform
    And a candidate for examination
    History, someone had blundered
    And a voice rapped "knuckle under!"
    And how
    And how
    How long?"

----------------------------------------------

Is he saying "to leave" or "to live" ?????

----------------------------------------------

The song is this one:

Thank you in advance for your help
    Don't pull the friggin' plug .... :/

catherini said:

Hi there

He is definitely saying ' to leave'

Hope that helps you