Learning English by Listening

Thread: Learning English by Listening

Tags: None

dragonfly93 said:

Default Learning English by Listening

Hey guys, I'm not sure what you think of this idea, but how about we exchange music files, then post the lyrics here based on what we hear or understand? Mistakes are allowed, and the songs must be clearly pronounced so you can hear and type the lyrics.

We will send links to each other to videos and songs, or we can exchange emails or PM each other. This thread is basically going to be where we post and correct lyrics, if anyone likes this idea. We can even post links to news, movies, or TV shows

*NOTE: Please also include a description of what type of English is used (for example, American, British, Irish, Scottish) if you can.

For those of you who like this concept... Here is the first link:
    Love Is Not A Reason To Cry - MR. & MS.
    Last edited by dragonfly93; 03-07-2010 at 05:18 PM.
    Minä olen horjunut, epäilen enemmän kuin ennen
    Mutta halusit ihmisen, sen viat, sen heikkouden

TheNuttyOne said:

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly93 View Post
    *NOTE: Please also include a description of what type of English is used (for example, American, British, Irish, Scottish) if you can.

or Romanian English :P (youtube video)

Basically you want people to post videos so others can listen and type out what was said?

dragonfly93 said:

Oops, yes, sorry. Yes that's Romanian English, hehehe... Ummm... that is hard to categorize. Yes, the point is to post, then practice listening and transcribing.

I think it's closest to American English, because sometimes even when Americans sing, they leave off the harder consonants like "R" at the end of words. But maybe this is too hard to write out... I don't want to post well-known songs so much, because people know the words.

dragonfly93 said:

Well... Obviously this wasn't a popular idea... O_O LOL sorry everyone! Any better suggestions?

Frankie Jasmine said:

Default How ambitious are you to test your English?

Dragonfly,

Over two years later, I respond that, YES,
    this is a good idea . . . (***chuckle***) . . . with Engish-as-first-language singers so learners will at least hear the English pronounce their own variety of the language! Mr. has a stronger accent than the Mrs.! (The initial song posted ^)

Perhaps this was an idea ahead of its time. Allow me to try another . . . See if anyone wanting to learn Engilsh is ambitious enough to "take the bait"!!

Suggestions: Post high quality audio. Choose the highest quality to replay the music.
    Listeners: Use your headphones if you have difficulty understanding--I'm American and I do the same thing to get the English lyrics right!

"CHASING PIRATES" - Norah Jones (primarily American)

[uTxythHY09k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTxythHY09k[/video]

6. mexico62 said:

Hi, friends, I´ll try to join to your group, one more suggestion, I think that, as all we who have english as a second language, are at different levels in understanding, maybe could help if you categorize (hope I said it o.k.), the videos, I mean if is so fast, like in rap, must be level difficult, if is so clear, like elvis presley singing love me tender, is easy level, other difficult could be for the use of not so usual words or when slang is used. That could help us to know at wich level we are. Thanks for your effort and good luck.

Frankie Jasmine said:

Mexico62 has a great idea, don't you think? . . .

"Chasing Pirates"
    is a relatively slow song. Many of the same phrases and imagery are repeated. These factors make the song easy. (We want word for word what Norah is singing, not just the word "chorus" or the word "repeat".)

However, Ms. Jones has a very unique, smokey quality to her voice; she even has a bit of a slow slur of her words, especially on the lower registers (notes). This makes it difficult for me to make out exactly what she is saying in these lines. These verses are not as important as the chorus (refrain). However, transcription is an exercise in listening to the English closely, and getting as many words as possible. Anyway . . . these qualities make Norah Jones' singing unique; yet those few 'insignificant' words are harder to hear exactly.

Combining these two pluses and minuses, I am for now, rating this song a "Medium" in difficulty

For now, let's try this rating system:

Easy
    Medium
    Medium Hard
    Hard
    Nearly impossible!

The next step, for ME, is to listen to the song myself with headphones and do my own transcription of it. If I encounter greater difficulty getting the minor words and phrases even then, I will "up" the rating!

Please . . . no using of published lyrics.
    Besides, you will be caught! Why? Because often the published lyrics are done by a non-professional also (another language listener) or the final song cut--or especially live performances--are sung different from lyrics that come with the CD. (That is one of my "pet peeves" = little thing that aggravates me more than it should!)

Hey, anyone who wants--give it a try! It's not a test--this is for fun! No grades given!
    If you are missing words, just leave one underscore line for each missing word. Who knows? Maybe it will even become a collaborative effort, if that is what you want to do! Just speak up for what you prefer--your own, or a collaborative effort . . . !

More than one person may post their transcription. Just post your transcription when it's done, not checking anyone else's lyrics, and making no changes to yours after someone else has transcribed a part you missed. If you post first and want to make a correction, just note it in the box where you explain why you edited! OR submit your new version separately (that's OK if no one else has yet posted theirs).

HAVE FUN!!

8. mexico62 said:

Hi friends, is Spanish we say “lo prometido es deuda” (if you promise something is a debt), and I don´t want to delay our work, so I send you the translation that I made of the song “Chasing pirates” performed by Norah Jones, of course I wrote what I heard, it was important for me not cheating, cause that would be to cheat myself. So there are a lot of mistakes, that I hope you help me to correct. I put the interrogation at the end in the phrases where I´m sure to have mistakes, and in the place where I put the asterisk I´m sure by logic that the word should be a synonymous of tired, but I do prefer your kind help, thanks for your valuable support.

CHASING PIRATES NORAH JONES

In a message you say
    You are going to bed
    But I´m not done with it tonight
    So I stay up and wait
    That your words in my head
    Every miks stop? so I turn off light
    And l don´t know how to slow it down
    My mind is *raising from chasing pirates.
    Now I´m having screams by the serious things
    That Flavor round in my brain
    And I try not to dream
    But impossible skip to simul own?
    Wanna drive me insane
    And I don´t know how
    To slow it down
    Oh my mind´s raising from chasing pirates
    (music)
    And l don´t know how to slow it down,
    Oh my mind is raising from chasing pirates
    my mind is raising from chasing pirates
    my mind is raising from chasing pirates

By the way, what a beatiful song and video, thanks F. J., for sharing with us. and to Dragonfly for opening this helpful thread. Hope my daughter join us soon.

P.S., To be honest I must say that I listened the song at least ten times.
    Last edited by mexico62; 07-13-2012 at 03:18 PM. Reason: add a P. S.

9. mexico62 said:

Hey guys, I'm not sure what you think of this idea, but how about we exchange music files, then post the lyrics here based on what we hear or understand? Mistakes are allowed, and the songs must be clearly pronounced so you can hear and type the lyrics.

We will send links to each other to videos and songs, or we can exchange emails or PM each other. This thread is basically going to be where we post and correct lyrics, if anyone likes this idea. We can even post links to news, movies, or TV shows

Hi dragonfly, I tried to transcribe the song from Norah Jones, now I just start with the song you kindly post of Mr and Ms. Thanks

10. mexico62 said:

Hi again dear dragonfly, here is my version of

LOVE IS NOT A REASON TO CRY (MR. ANS MS.), I didn´t cheat, so I hope you help me with the many corrections that must have, thanks in advance

Love is not a reason to cry
    Love is not a reason to cry
    Lovers time pass on you, you and me, and it´s me
    My heart begin to beat so fast
    And your eyes made on me
    Here on my destiny
    And I should forget on the past.
    Never stray miles of, you have said i´m alone
    Somebody just Block off your heart.
    And I told you my girl
    It´s O. K., don´t you cry
    Finish like I´d be in your start
    Let me see a beautiful smile,
    Cause love is not a reason to cry.
    Love is not a reason to cry, Love is not a reason to cry
    Love is not a reason to cry, Love is not a reason to cry.
    You show me how to fly, with your love
    And your smile, you just gave me reason to live.
    Day by day, Night by night, I will be by your side
    Wanna be the end of your brief
    Let me see a beautiful smile,
    Cause love is not a reason to cry.
    (music) oh, oh, oh, oh.
    Not a reason to to, not a reason to to,
    Not a reason to cry
    Not a reason to to, not a reason to to,
    Not a reason to cry
    Love is not a reason to cry, Love is just a reason to smile.

Frankie Jasmine said:

My friend Mexico62, I just signed in and it's very late. Wow! Talk about "pronto!" You were fast and to your word, sir! I haven't had time to listen and make my lyrics yet. I will try to do so sometime tomorrow (Sat.) p.m.--if not, I will check back Monday. Real life sometimes interferes with such fun things...

I know you would never look up lyrics! You are very serious about learning languages; I am so impressed.

Only had time to glance at your transcription (sorry); but I notice there are no blanks! Congratulations!

Anyone else can still post their transcription--just don't peek at Mr. Mexico62's . . .

I will return soon. Dragonfly occasionally flits by, but is a busy person!
    Last edited by Frankie Jasmine; 07-16-2012 at 07:44 PM.

12. mexico62 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie Jasmine View Post
    My friend Mexico62, I just signed in and it's very late. Wow! Talk about "pronto!" You were fast and to your word, sir! I haven't had time to listen and make my lyrics yet. I will try to do so sometime tomorrow (Sat.) p.m.--if not, I will check back Monday. Real life sometimes interferes with such fun things...

I know you would never look up lyrics! You are very serious about learning languages; I am so impressed.

Only had time to glance at your transcription (sorry); but I notice there are no blanks! Congratulations!

Anyone else can still post their transcription--just don't peak at Mr. Mexico62's . . .

I will return soon. Dragonfly occasionally flits by, but is a busy person!
    Hi, F. J. thanks for looking, I think is O.K. if you correct the lyrics after, we give time if someone else want to try, and I hope no one peak to me, cause my transliterations must have many mistakes, I didn´t left blanks cause I wanted to write as I heard, but I know some words made no sense, but with your help and of our other friends I know that we (students) will be capable to upgrade in english language. Gracias

Frankie Jasmine said:

In the meantime . . . anyone learning English who reads this thread . . . I did not mean to "take over" dragonfly's wonderful idea on this thread. However, I am pleased to rejuvenate it!

All who are learning English: This is a continuing challenge on this thread--Any of my posts which contain misspellings, wrong grammar, a typographical error, or any other such aberration of the American English language, PLEASE MAKE A POST OF MY ERROR AND CORRECT IT FOR ME!! Why? Because I make mistakes too!! For example, in Post #11, I mispelled a word [which is now corrected], then Mexico62 quoted my post and repeated my error, because he did not think I would spell something wrong. WRONG! I did spell something wrong. Can you find the corrected word and the original mistake?

This a little challenge until I finish transcribing the lyrics to "CHASING PIRATES" and post a new song! (Oh, and I will try to transribe the Mr. & Mrs. song, but it may be hard for me because "MR." has a non-English accent!!! )

Frankie Jasmine said:

Dragonfly had a wonderful idea about LISTENING TO THE ENGLISH LYRICS then WRITING WHAT'S HEARD and POSTING your lyrics!

I think it only fair that I also post the lyrics as I heard them--right or wrong!
    Also, as much as possible, I will always try to post correct punctuation. Why?
    Lyrics are not usually correct English anyway--they're in phrases and vernacular language--not full sentences.
    That's okay. Lyrics convey IDEAS, IMAGES, and FEELINGS; so the art does not insist on proper Engilsh in a strict sense.
    The least I can do is try to punctuate as properly as possible!

Where I question Norah's actual words, I've put them in CAPITAL LETTERS (with explanation notes below the song).
    Here's FRANKIE'S rendition of CHASING PIRATES.

(I will check a Norah Jones official source for the lyrics, posting any corrections later! Again, however, please remember that published lyrics do not always match the final music-video cut nor do they always match a live performance.)

[uTxythHY09k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uTxythHY09k[/video]

CHASING PIRATES – Norah Jones

In your message you said
    You were goin’ to bed,
    But I’m not done with the night.

So I stayed up and read;
    But your words in my head,
    Got me mixed up, so I turned out the light.

And I don’t know how
    To slow it* down.
    My mind’s racing
    From chasing pirates.

Now and then in the SCENES
    While the silliest things
    RUB/ROB** around in my brain.

And I try not to dream
    Up impossible schemes,
    That swim around,
    Wanna drown me insane.

And I don’t know how
    To slow it down.
    Oh, my mind’s racing
    From chasing pirates.

(musical interlude)

And I don’t know how
    To slow it down.
    Oh, my mind’s racing
    From chasing pirates.

My mind’s racing
    From chasing pirates.
    My mind’s racing
    From chasing pirates.

NOTE: I found the hardest thing to really hear in CHASING PIRATES were the "little" words! I had to listen to them over and over.

* "it"--I listened to the song a number of times before I ever heard "it" at all!

** "Rub around in my brain" may be the correct word, although "rub" is an unusual expression to use. Because the topic is pirates, "rob around in my brain" is a good contender! It fits the theme so well, making the phrase pleasant to the ear.

I AGREE WHOLE-HEARTEDLY WITH YOU ABOUT "CHASING PIRATES" BEING SUCH A GOOD SONG. AND NORAH JONES IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE AMERICAN FEMALE SINGERS!! I THINK SHE'S A DOLL--HER LOOKS, TALENT, PERSONALITY, EVERYTHING!!
    Last edited by Frankie Jasmine; 07-16-2012 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Listened casually to song and heard a phrase differently!

15. mexico62 said:

Thank you so much F. J., by a first glance I can see that there are a lot of changes from what I heard, so I will read again both versions, compare, and listen carefully, to try to educate my hearing, I´m sure that these exercises will be an important advance in our (students) english learning efforts.

Frankie Jasmine said:

Dear mexico62,

My thanks to you . . . It seems without you there would be no "Listening/Learning" thread at the moment!

CHASING PIRATES: First of all, at least two of my lyrics are probably not correct, mainly because they don't make sense. However, the online checking I've done so far--lyrics from other sites sound even crazier than mine! For example "an ambulance screams". Anyway, I'm still checking for an official accurate transcription of the lyrics.

Because there are two or three "difficult" phrases (with many different lyrics posted on the internet), this song needs to be upgraded to "Medium Hard." These passages are sung softly and slightly slurred by Norah Jones. That's a little bit of her charm, though, don't you think?!

Mexico62, you made a good effort with your translation! I like that you chose to post what you heard, rather than leaving blanks. The phrase "my mind is raising" or "my mind's racing" sound very similar. "My mind is racing" ("c" pronounced as an "s" sound) is an expression meaning that many thoughts at once quickly run through the brain; the person becomes confused or unable to focus on one thought at a time. (The word "raising" = the "s" sound is like a soft "z.") By translating lyrics, colloquialisms and idioms will readily be learned!

You mention "the students." Please share--are there others there with you tuning in to ATL to learn English? Or are you referring merely to the other people on ATL? The more students, the better!

17. mexico62 said:

Hi F. J., you make me feel better, cause you say that the song is not so easy, I hope some people join us, but for the moment this is a good thread for a best learning through hearing.

As I told you I tried to write what I heard, although some phrases made no sense, I tried to figure out, and in the place where says "racing" or something like that, logic told me that must be some synonymous of "tired", but hope we can make a perfect task with this song.

There´s no problem if the song is a little tricky, this make it more interestig and good exercise for all of us (we two so far).

I do agree that Norah Jones is a very good singer, her voice is warm and caress the ears.

Maybe my daughter could join to us, but I don´t know for sure if she will decide it, who knows, but I meant all the people in ATL that may want to test or upgrade their level, help us, or have some fun, listening good music.

And please don´t forget to post another good song to continue working, learning and having fun, thank you teacher.

Teshka said:

Hi Frankie and mexico62, i like the idea for this and over time i think it will be a very useful aid both for music and language. Many times Moon and i have had looooong "discussions" (lol) about a line in a song or just one word that neither of us can be sure about....or one of us is absolutely positive that "I" am correct and "you" are wrong! but it's always fun to talk about music and its meaning. So i'll keep this thread in mind for that kind of occasion.
    Music is what feelings sound like
    Listen to the Love
    ~♥♥~

19. mexico62 said:

Welcome Teshka, hope you try with us to improve our english, it´s a good idea to learn and at the same time enjoy listening good songs.

Teshka said:

Ty mexico62 and i also believe that helping someone with our language may also help us to improve our understanding of the other language and of course the music, in another sense "it's all about the music"

@Frankie, i think it would be great if the OP (dragonfly) would join us again but i also want to hope that (she?) wouldn't mind that people will want to continue the legacy and not let this topic die a dark and lonely death

mexioc62 i was just trying to find something that you posted recently in the top Lyrics sections (songs/lyrics/poetry) for help with translation, i think....i couldn't find it again but i remember that the first line was something about "fallen"....someone died?......if you can recognize what i'm talking about, is that something that could be included in this thread as well?
    Music is what feelings sound like
    Listen to the Love
    ~♥♥~