Namaste :)

Thread: Namaste :)

Tags: None
  1. nahawand said:

Default Namaste :)

Hello everyone! *waves*

Just wanted to say hi and ask a question to non-native English speakers. I'm an Indian and I really don't like translating Hindi poems/songs into English mostly because I feel all the nuances of the language is lost in translation. Anyone have the same problem?

I hesitated to register for a long time since I thought I'd be useless but being a huge fan of music from all around the world and depending on these forums for translations I felt it was time to give back so here I am!

ciyo37 said:

welcome to forum,have fun
    Şehitler Ölmez,Vatan Bölünmez

3. nahawand said:

Smile

Thank you!

4. Guest said:

Welcome! have fun

Aish said:

Hello nahawand, welcome to the forum .
    Of course, you are not the only one who feels like that when it come to song translations. But most of us understand translated songs cant look like exactly same as original one, but still we want to know what are they singing about. I like Bollywood movies and music
    ...Onlar bilmez onlar bilmez
    Bakarlar yüzüme
    Sanki yoksun gibi
    Sanki yalanmışız gibi...

6. samar said:

hi
    same here we cant show the real meaning but they will know what is the song about and may be they will try to imagine the meaning

7. nahawand said:

Thank you, everyone! I'm glad I'm not alone in feeling that way.

@Aish - I'm glad you enjoy our movies.

Suveer said:

Hey, welcome to this forum... I'm new too, BTW. No offenses, but I can't really understand why you don't like translating the songs... (?) The forum is all about that, isn't it? Helping someone and getting help in return... Right? But nevertheless, it's totally your opinion... You do whatever you like! Really. Anyway, Welcome again! Hope you have fun here(!)

9. nahawand said:

@ Suveer - None taken It's just that when I finish translating Hindi and look at it, it sounds ridiculous to me. That's why I'm uncomfortable with translating... it somehow never feels right. I turn on English subtitles sometimes during songs in Hindi movies to laugh, hehe.

@Entertainment - Daler is good but I prefer Sukhbir.

Suveer said:

You're absolutely right... the lyrics sound so weird! especially the ones like the old romantic songs. "I'll die on you"... ! It's so very stupid!