Is Swiss German similar to Swedish?

Thread: Is Swiss German similar to Swedish?

Tags: None
  1. McCarthy86 said:

Default Is Swiss German similar to Swedish?

Gruezi mit anund, first id like to say i'm swiss, but unfortuantly lost the language when i came to england, blame my parents. However i am starting to try and learn it again.

So i've been looking through some lyrics, it seems that when Swiss German is written it seems similar to Nordic languages, now i know of the Swedish-Swiss confusion, believe me i get it all the time. However there seems that there could be a stronger relation with the two than High German-Swedish. Heres an example from a Züri West song:

är isch schpät am aabe no i ds outo gschtige
    är hett se wöue gsee
    hett sini letschte chole für e moscht la lige
    är hett se wöue gsee
    är hett e grosse boge um si schtammbeiz zoge
    är hett se wöue gsee
    är hett gas gä
    är isch nid gfaare
    är isch gfloge
    nume wüu är se hett wöue gsee
    hett jedi kurve gschnitte
    jedi ample ignoriert
    är hett se wöue gsee
    är hett im garte vor em huus wo sie woont parkiert
    är hett se wöue gsee
    är hett d'söcke ufezoge
    u dr chrage ufeglitzt
    är hett se wöue gsee
    u churz überprüft öb d'friise no sitzt
    nume wüu är se hett se wöue gsee
    sie woont im 12te schtock
    dr lift isch nid cho
    är hett se wöue gsee
    är isch inegange
    no chli shaky i de bei
    är hett se wöue gsee
    u sie isch grad am lige aber nid allei

I believe 'år het' means I am hot or something. Is that the same in swiss german? Or did they delibrately make it sound swedish for effect. If anyone can tell me about this then that would be great, just curious really. And I know theirs loads of different dialects so may depend on region.

2. JayS_LU said:

Smile

Salut!
    First of all I have to disappoint ya. There is no Swiss-German.
    The people here talk a huge amount of german dialects, which are not really similar to each other. If you have that song from Züri West, they sing + write in the Bern-Idiom. If you go to Lucerne, Zürich, Zermatt or Chur it will sound and look a lot different.
    The "official" Language in Switzerland still is GERMAN, due to the fact that the Swiss would never be able to take ONE of their hundred dialects as a official "Swiss-German"-Language.
    Doesnt matter which dialect you'd take, the rest of the country would be angry.

About your question: NO! not at all. there is no familiarity betwenn Swiss and Swedish. Not written, and also not spoken. According to what I have written above you will understand that there is NO WRITTEN SWISS GERMAN. Everybody is allowed to write it how he likes to. No rules. Because its just a spoken dialect. not a written language.
    All the people do write swiss-german here, but as I said: It is just a form of bringing the sound onto the paper. No rules, no grammar, pure Anarchy

i.e.:

är hett se wöue gsee

är = Er = he
    hett = hat = had
    se = Sie = she
    wöue = Wollen = want
    gsee = sehen = see

word by word-> he had she want see, and in english: He wanted to see her!
    (German: Er hat sie sehen wollen)

Regards!

3. McCarthy86 said:

Lol fair enough, as I said just curious, calm down. I know its not a language and several dialects I'm just following the tradition of these threads by saying Swiss German.

And your wrong their are a few similarities between them, J is pronounced like the english Y, and they say yes like german Ja. Probably a few, minor ones no doubt, but some nevertheless.