Holes in my skin. [PLEASE COMMENT!]

Thread: Holes in my skin. [PLEASE COMMENT!]

Tags: addiction, drugs, metal, rock
  1. sicklad said:

Default Holes in my skin. [PLEASE COMMENT!]

Meaning: It's about drug addiction and the effects it has on this person.
    Genre: Progressive metal.
    Sounds like: The Package by A Perfect Circle.

Please tell me what you think.
    All feedback, negative and positive, is very valuable to me.

Trickling down the needle
    Desire overwhelms my mind
    Pretending to hold my sanity
    I can’t begin to comprehend

The silence that I needed
    The comfort that broke me in
    Grounded in my whole self
    No such thing as struggling.
    Push me through the threshold
    Bow down to holes in my skin

Smile, take the picture
    I won’t come this way again
    Got to feed my demons
    That strike me from within

Tied down to the air
    Misguided I can’t help but stare
    Take me to the freak show
    It’s where I have my only friend

The silence that I needed
    The comfort that broke me in
    Grounded in my whole self
    No such thing as struggling.
    Push me through the threshold

My thoughts sit divided
    But I still find my way back home
    Take me to a new place
    Somewhere that I’ve never been

Where there’s silence that I need
    Comfort that breaks me in
    I’ll stay grounded in my whole self
    I’ll keep struggling.
    Step back from the threshold

2. sicklad said:

33 views and nothing?

MoonRide*r* said:

Stop counting ... one of mine has lots more views and no comments ... just 1 pm that offered me some very helpful insights.

I think this has some promise; it almost makes me understand something that I've never experienced. But it's still a little rough. And the phrase "grounded in my whole self" I think takes away from the reality, or the unreality that is drug addiction right? But the line right after that, no such thing as struggling, that sounds just right.

4. sicklad said:

Quote Originally Posted by MoonRide42 View Post
    Stop counting ... one of mine has lots more views and no comments ... just 1 pm that offered me some very helpful insights.

I think this has some promise; it almost makes me understand something that I've never experienced. But it's still a little rough. And the phrase "grounded in my whole self" I think takes away from the reality, or the unreality that is drug addiction right? But the line right after that, no such thing as struggling, that sounds just right.
    Yeah, I just thought the purpose of this forum was so people could receive feedback :|

The 'grounded in my whole self' part is meant to show that the normal feeling for them is feeling the high, and they feel out of place when they aren't high.

Thanks for the feedback

Sewn Up said:

Very good job. I know quite a few people in this very same situation, and this is fairly spot on to what I see happening to them. I can see why MoonRide42 feels the way he does about the "grounded in my whole self" bit, but I see it as a very good double meaning. The way I read it, especially closer to the end, it comes across as only being whole during the use and later on being whole when trying to stop. However, I do think the last line of the song should be slightly revised to fit in more with the content of the rest of the stanza. May I suggest going from "Bow down to holes in my skin" to something along the lines of "Shut down the holes in my skin"? I think it would fit in with the perceived idea of recovering a little better. All in all, amazing work. Can't wait to see what else you've got!
    Have you ever seen blood in the moonlight? It appears quite black. Have you ever seen spiders crawling on the graves?

6. sicklad said:

Quote Originally Posted by Sewn Up View Post
    Very good job. I know quite a few people in this very same situation, and this is fairly spot on to what I see happening to them. I can see why MoonRide42 feels the way he does about the "grounded in my whole self" bit, but I see it as a very good double meaning. The way I read it, especially closer to the end, it comes across as only being whole during the use and later on being whole when trying to stop. However, I do think the last line of the song should be slightly revised to fit in more with the content of the rest of the stanza. May I suggest going from "Bow down to holes in my skin" to something along the lines of "Shut down the holes in my skin"? I think it would fit in with the perceived idea of recovering a little better. All in all, amazing work. Can't wait to see what else you've got!
    Thankyou

That's a really nice idea. I was a bit sceptical of the last part myself, and your suggestion fits perfectly.