French Basics

Thread: French Basics

Tags: None
  1. Faayzaah' said:

No I didn't know, all I knew is it's a Middle Eastern serial on MBC! Anyway, that's interesting!

VivaPalestina said:

Haha yes syrian drama, but it's set in the time that it was occupied by France you dont watch arabic?

Super! Extra! Genial! Mon correspondant Ezekiel, m'a invite en Afrique pendant les vacancess. Il habite au Zaire, en Afrique centrale. J'ai envie de voir tous les animaux..et mon copain aussi, sans doute!

Whats tous 3a fikra?

My try without a dictionary:

Super! Amazing! Great! My pen pal Ezekiel invited me to Africa for the holiday. He lives in Zaire in central Africa. I have ...the animals? Something lol

3. Faayzaah' said:

I watch Moroccan channels, sometimes Algerian and Tunisian, Al Jazeera when my dad took over the remote controle LOL, and Melody Hits, Rotana and Nojoom also... All the rest, not that much.

TOUS = ALL
    J'ai envie de voir tous les animaux... et mon copain aussi, sans doute! = I want to see all the animals... and my friend too, probably!

May I ask where do you get all these phrases from?

VivaPalestina said:

No MBC? ya haram! lol Al Jazeera FTW

Haha merci ma puce! The first bit I got from a book for learning french, and the second is from a french story for kids, big lovely cartoons

pinky_girl said:

what does "si on te le demande" mean? it means :as u wish?

6. Faayzaah' said:

Si on te le demande = If they ask you
    Comme tu veux = As you wish

pinky_girl said:

GOT IT....and if i want to say "it's not your business' then what should i say?

8. Faayzaah' said:

It's none of your business. = Ce n'est pas tes affaires.

Maviii said:

no thanks button so i have voted for this thread 5*
    i wonder if there is a chance from -1000% for me to learn basics of french someday

but its good to read whats going on here at least ;p
    well done faz ..keep it up ..3ashat eedek ya rab

dragonfly93 said:

Awww ya Mavi, we'll teach you ^^
    Minä olen horjunut, epäilen enemmän kuin ennen
    Mutta halusit ihmisen, sen viat, sen heikkouden

Maviii said:

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly93 View Post
    Awww ya Mavi, we'll teach you ^^
    thanks for the effort draga but i am aware that am way bad student with closed head ;p no chance for me i know that

VivaPalestina said:

Ya maviii if there is hope for MOI to learn, there is hope for you!! I'm British

I forgot my question I blame maviii!

Dragonfly - and me me me!!

dragonfly93 said:

Hahaha, must I add that I'm an American? Don't mean to scare away the fishies here...

Mavi and Viva, as you may know, I've had lots of experience already teaching and/or tutoring dumb and stubborn students, and you two are neither so no worries, you're in good hands between Faz and me

and Avoss, if she's around

VivaPalestina said:

LOL lets just say you have your work cut out for you

Pffff you cant play the american card, you have chinese and french in you!!

dragonfly93 said:

Loool but I'm a New Yorker xD

I have lived in America my whole life, so that's that although it's true I don't really think of myself as American.. In fact, no one in this country does! You ask the multiethnic country of France where they're from, and the Algerians, Italians, British, and Spanish will tell you French. But in the US, you ask someone whose family has been here for a century, and they will reply that they're Irish or Italian or German...!! It's interesting.

Anyways, sorry to get off-topic, but Noor, would you please do me a favour and vote in the Photo contest?

16. Faayzaah' said:

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly93 View Post
    You ask the multiethnic country of France where they're from, and the Algerians, Italians, British, and Spanish will tell you French. But in the US, you ask someone whose family has been here for a century, and they will reply that they're Irish or Italian or German...!! It's interesting.
    That's so trueee! And they still dare to come and say we're not "integrated"... LOLLL

VivaPalestina said:

Anna - for you, anything

Tu me manques!! Did I say it right?

dragonfly93 said:

Hehe, oui

VivaPalestina said:

Fayoooz another question ma puce, how can I know if something is a male or female? in spanish it ends with a or o most of the time, in arabic female ends with tah normally, but in french...oh la la! I cant spot a pattern

Merci!

dragonfly93 said:

French endings... Masculine ends in a consonant or o... and feminine ends with an e. There are exceptions... Especially when something that looks masculine is feminine, or vice versa, when one word is actually an abbreviation for something else longer... Photo looks masculine but is short for photographe, so it's LA photo