Some Ukrainian Help?

Thread: Some Ukrainian Help?

Tags: None

Lumekuninganna said:

Default Some Ukrainian Help?

I just started volunteering to work with ESL students who need to learn English, and I've been paired with a woman from the Ukraine. She speaks Ukrainian and Russian (which is wonderful, because I'm studying Russian). But I just wanted to see if there are some native Ukrainians here who could give me advice, either about the language or culture (like, "make sure you don't do this because it's considered rude..."), or some useful phrases I could learn. There seem to be a lot of similarities between Ukrainian and Russian, am I right?

I'm just curious, and I want to learn about her culture as much as she wants to learn about America. I know that will happen over time, but it can't hurt to be prepared, right?

Thank you!
    Vanad teksad ja kitarr...
    Nad on mul kõik, mida vajan nüüd

Kalomira said:

I'm native Ukrainian
    you can ask me whatever you want

What useful phareses and so on you want?

Quote Originally Posted by Lumekuninganna View Post
    There seem to be a lot of similarities between Ukrainian and Russian, am I right?
    Seems yes, but there're much more similarities between Ukrainian and Polish
    Last edited by Kalomira; 05-28-2010 at 07:25 AM.
    Herkes kendi türküsünü söyler bu şehirde sadece kendi acısına ağlar

TheNuttyOne said:

I just started volunteering to work with ESL students who need to learn English, and I've been paired with a woman from the Ukraine. She speaks Ukrainian and Russian (which is wonderful, because I'm studying Russian). But I just wanted to see if there are some native Ukrainians here who could give me advice, either about the language or culture (like, "make sure you don't do this because it's considered rude..."), or some useful phrases I could learn. There seem to be a lot of similarities between Ukrainian and Russian, am I right?

I'm just curious, and I want to learn about her culture as much as she wants to learn about America. I know that will happen over time, but it can't hurt to be prepared, right?

Thank you!
    The cultural differences (if any) are not very different from what you're used to. Ukraine is in Europe. Compared to Asian and African countries where the customs are very different, the differences are very small.

Lumekuninganna said:

Quote Originally Posted by Kalomira View Post
    Seems yes, but there're much more similarities between Ukrainian and Polish
    Really?! Now I have to go look at how Polish works. I've never learned even a single word in Polish, which is weird, because where I live it's full of Polish people. We even have several local Polish newspapers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalomira View Post
    What useful phareses and so on you want?
    I don't know... ^^; simple but useful things like: hello, how are you, i'm fine, good job, please, thank you, you're welcome, etc. I like to ask someone in case there are different ways to say these things that I might not learn from a book or website.

And thanks for the culture note, TheNuttyOne!
    Vanad teksad ja kitarr...
    Nad on mul kõik, mida vajan nüüd

Kalomira said:

I don't know... ^^; simple but useful things like: hello, how are you, i'm fine, good job, please, thank you, you're welcome, etc. I like to ask someone in case there are different ways to say these things that I might not learn from a book or website.
    Hmm, that’s a hard task
    Coz I’ve never seen any book of Ukrainian for foreigners
    I’ll write as a talk in everyday life

Hello – Вітаю вас, мої вітання, доброго ранку (good morning), добрий день (good day), добрий вечір (good evening)
    Hi – привіт, здорОв, здоровенькі були (just funny)))
    How are you – Як справи? Як ся маєте (formal), Як ся маєш? (informal), Як воно? Як здоров’я?/Як здоров’ячко? (how’s your health), Як життя? (How’s your life) – an answer триває (going on)
    I’m fine – все гаразд, все чудово,
    So so – так собі
    Nothing new – нічого нового
    Good job (smth like well done?) гарно зроблено, круто вийшло (very informal))
    Please – будь ласка, будь ласочка, дуже прошу
    Thank you – дякую, дуже вам вдячний/вдячна, моїй вдячності немає меж, щиро дякую
    You’re welcome – прошу, був/була рада допомогти, мені в радість (I’m glad I could help you),
    Cheers – будьмо))

If i remember smth more i'll edit my post
    Hope it'll help
    Last edited by Kalomira; 05-31-2010 at 08:49 AM.
    Herkes kendi türküsünü söyler bu şehirde sadece kendi acısına ağlar