a song i heard once in the 1980s

Thread: a song i heard once in the 1980s

Tags: 1980s
  1. woebegone said:

Default a song i heard once in the 1980s

i only heard this song once ( on the radio )........female singer.................sort of a sophisticated/arty song.............with a change of tempo at some point in it..........the lyrics ( in english ) impressed me...................one bit went ( after running through a number of colors and what they were good for ) "but blue is my color when i'm looking for a lover to show my other colors to".............please someone help..........it's been about 25 years now.........

atmaestro said:

The only song I can find that even comes close is "Blue Is My Best Color" by Sandy Posey (1966).
    Them that can, do; them that can't... memorize Artist and Title

3. woebegone said:

that is from the 60s........and the song i'm looking for was from the 80's........no one anywhere can help me........i didn't dream it or hallucinate it, but i only heard it once..........

DJ Maxx said:

Hi Woebegone,

You only said that "you heard" it in the 80's..... . I'm sure that's why a 60's song was suggested. Thanks for trying Atmaster.

Isn't it possibly older ? If not....

Maybe you have some other clues as to why you know it's an 80's song.

logan01 said:

Other than the words "blue" and "color", nothing else matches the poster's lyrics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wrqXvCfaOA

DJ Maxx said:

Actually there are quite a few songs from the 90's running through different colors.

i.e. "Red is for" "Green is for" etc.

logan01 said:

I could swear I have heard the song. I think a year or so ago. Probably on VH1 Classics. I'm pretty sure I heard/saw it as a music video. As soon as I read the posting, it rung a bell, though, my bell has been rung way too many times.

8. woebegone said:

Default thanks for trying, and i hope someday/someone...

thanks for trying everybody............the reason i think it was from the 80s, apart from that is when i heard it, was that there was a quirkiness, an intelligence and an edginess to the lyrics, that i associate with the "new wave"...............with The Pretenders or Grace Jones or B-52s..........since i only heard it once i didn't expect it to be appearing on tv, but thanks, i'll wade through some 80s retro programmes.....what a great site this is...............everyone helping everyone discover their lost treasures..........

atmaestro said:

Try "Colorblind" by Chroma Key (1999)

green can only hold you in the garden
    too much red will go right to your head
    but if it's all the same to you
    give me back my blue
    other colors fade anyway
    i'm colorblind three way tragedy

http://www.actionext.com/names_c/chr...olorblind.html

Tahira said:

Just a wild guess... a german band:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdZfJNLem_k

(and except of BLUEprint there are no colour mentioned)

11. woebegone said:

thanks for trying............if i could have heard a song from 1999 in 1986, i probably wouldn't need to use this great site........i'm not a color freak, not a collector of songs involving colors, i just remember the lyrics ( after more than 20 years !!! )....."but blue is my color, when i'm looking for a lover, to show my other colors to..............thanks everyone, i'll listen to the songs you suggested anyway....
    Last edited by woebegone; 06-13-2010 at 02:20 PM. Reason: misspelling

atmaestro said:

I've run out of guesses...
    James Gilreath recorded a song called "Blue is My Color" in 1964 but I can't find any lyrics or samples to check it out. Maybe someone did a cover of it?

DJ Maxx said:

Looking through the posts I noticed that you don't mention what country you heard the song in. I know you said it was in English.....But what's your country ? It might be a local phenomena.

logan01 said:

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Maxx View Post
    ........... might be a local phenomena.
    Kind of like me.

Trimbaud said:

wild guess, that doesn't match your lyrics, but does match some of the other points - theme, arty, intelligent, female!

Kate Bush's "Symphony in Blue'?

16. woebegone said:

i heard the song on the radio in morocco..........which is no help really as the moroccan med 1 radio is as eclectic as can be..........so it was no regional hit but may have been a "find" by a dj who travelled widely.............thanks a million everybody

DJ Maxx said:

LOL.....

Quote Originally Posted by logan01 View Post
    Kind of like me.
    I think of you more as a local Party Boy.......

logan01 said:

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Maxx View Post
    LOL.....

I think of you more as a local Party Boy.......
    Yeah boy, that's me! "Party on Garth. Yeah, party on dude."