Şebnem Paker - Dinle

Thread: Şebnem Paker - Dinle

Tags: None

Truckai said:

Default Şebnem Paker - Dinle

I've just come across this classic and didn't find a translation here on the forum. Could you be so kind to make one?

Şebnem Paker - Dinle

Hiç geçmiyor günler sensiz geceler yine kimsesiz
    Ah! sevdiğim nerdesin? Kimdesin?
    Sana sormaya varmıyor dilim
    Dinle

Deli aşkının sonu var mıdır?
    Diye sormadan severim seni
    Acı dinmeden, gece bitmeden
    Yola düşmeden bulurum seni
    Bana yar mıdır? Adı var mıdır?
    Diye sormadan bilirim seni
    Göze girmeden, dile gelmeden
    Yüze gülmeden, severim seni

Ah! Sevdigim nerdesin? Kimdesin?
    Sana sormaya, varmıyor dilim
    Dinle

Sorsaydın adı var mıdır?
    Gerçekten bana yar mıdır?
    Bilseydim sonu var mıdır?
    Sessizce severim seni

SiLvEr_MooN said:

LISTEN

Without you, the days are not passing at all, the nights are without anyone again
    Oh! Where are you my beloved? With whom are you?
    (But) I don’t dare to ask you
    Listen

I can love you without asking
    “Does your mad love have an end?”

I can find you
    Before the pain is eased, before the night ends, before I set off

I can know you
    Without asking “Can he be my lover? Does he have a name?

I can love you
    Without ingratiating myself with you, without saying a single word (and) without smiling at you

Oh! Where are you my beloved? With whom are you?
    (But) I don’t dare to ask you
    Listen

If you had asked “Does she have a name?”
    “Can she be my lover?”
    (And) If I had known whether it had an end
    I would love you quietly
    Last edited by SiLvEr_MooN; 06-02-2010 at 02:18 PM.

Truckai said:

Thanks silver moon, that song is really wonderful both the music and the lyrics. And you're right, sometimes there is no point in translating line by line, 'cause because of the difference in the languages Turkish word order would not make sense in English.

I also love lyrics cause one can learn from that a lot, eg. i've never seen these expressions like "yola düsmek" or "göze girmek", memorizing them..

Can i have some questions though?

"Sana sormaya varmıyor dilim" literally means "i don't have a tongue to ask you"? If so, is that correct? What about "dilim degil"?

"Yola düşmeden bulurum seni" - your translation is "before I set off I can know you". How do you she doesn't mean "before YOU set off i can know you"?

And last but not least, why is the last line a conditional? "Sessizce severim seni" So why is that "I'd love you" instead of "i love you quietly"?

Sorry for word-splitting, i'm just interested in both the song and the langauge.
    Cheers!

SiLvEr_MooN said:

I will try to answer.

Yes, it literally means "I don't have a tongue to ask you" and it means "I don't dare to do that." But what you mean by "dilim değil"?

It's not "Before I set off I can know you" but "Before I set off I can FIND you". I don't think she means "you" as the chorus starts "Deli aşkının sonu var mıdır diye sormadan severim seni" and its subject must be "Ben" because a "you" subject wouldn't be proper. You don't say "Sen, deli aşkının sonu var mıdır, diye sormadan severim seni" because it seems meaningless when you say "sen ... sormadan" and if you pay attention, the predicate of that sentence is "severim, so it's likely to mean "Ben ... sormadan ... severim seni". Is it clear?

The last line is a conditional because the predicate is "bilseydim (if I had known" and the predicate of the next sentence is "severim" but I think it should be "severdim". In the lyrics it says "severim" but I think it's done just to make it rhytmic. You say "Bilseydim ... severdim" not "Bilseydim ... severim", one can't be in the present tense while the other is in the past tense, just like in English. If I had translated it literally as "If I had known whether it had an end,
    I love you quietly", as you see, it doesn't mean anything. As I mentioned, it seems to be just rhytmic.

I hope I could help at least a little

Truckai said:

Not just a little, you helped a lot, thanks dostum!

Truckai said:

Yeah, i know, actually it's one of the best Eurovision song ever. Especially compared to products of this senseless anglomaniac craziness which is more and more a widespread trend on eurovision festivals too. Just look at the recent winner! Nice song by a cute girl, but nothing more. Does it have anything to do with German culture? Far not! And everyone does the same.. Is it gonna be like shame to be unique from now on? Sebnem's song is so unique and/that's why so beautiful! But without cultural roots it's hard to be unique, hard to make something extraordinary. Hope people realize sometime how much fortune can be found in their own culture! Dinle is a perfect example to that!

ARME said:

Quote Originally Posted by Truckai View Post
    Yeah, i know, actually it's one of the best Eurovision song ever. Especially compared to products of this senseless anglomaniac craziness which is more and more a widespread trend on eurovision festivals too. Just look at the recent winner! Nice song by a cute girl, but nothing more. Does it have anything to do with German culture? Far not! And everyone does the same.. Is it gonna be like shame to be unique from now on? Sebnem's song is so unique and/that's why so beautiful! But without cultural roots it's hard to be unique, hard to make something extraordinary. Hope people realize sometime how much fortune can be found in their own culture! Dinle is a perfect example to that!
    this is a special turkish entry but i still think "semiha yanki - seninle bir dakika" is the most liked and famous turkish entry ever ( from turks) in eurovision...

http://www.viikii.net/videos/watch/8...miha-yank.html

she looks so sweet and what a ballade-pur in this song...

ps: this song were also used during the protests against relationships beetween mafia, politic and police in turkey in 90ies to say "stop to the dirty relationships/ stop to the fascism in turkey" / "give a reaction/feedback for one minute"