India..the magic of the east..

Thread: India..the magic of the east..

Tags: None

NNA for life said:

Ooooooo are so many things to say about the beautiful and rich hindi traditions.
    Hope to learn about all whit the time
    ------>Kaal ho na ho<------
    ------>Lebnan ya 2it3it sama<------
    ------>La 2ilaha 2illa allah<------

2. Crisa said:

Hello!

I have some curiosities (I don't care if you'll find my questions childish , stupid , I'm still gonna ask ):

1. Why in all the pictures the Hindu gods have blue skin ?

2. What's the meaning of the nose pin/ ring ? Can it be wore only on the right or only on the left side? Can men wear it too ?

Thank you!

NNA for life said:

"1. Why in all the pictures the Hindu gods have blue skin ?"
    Not in all.In mughal-e-Azam movie,Nandlal was made from gold and was yellow.The Shiva god also i've seen it many times having human skin.I believe that some of them are colored blue,because the ppl believe that they are spirits and they are up in the sky"upperwalle=the ones from UP".

"2. What's the meaning of the nose pin/ ring ? Can it be wore only on the right or only on the left side? Can men wear it too ?"
    This traditions are very old.The "nose pin or Nathani" i believe it was just thing which should make a women beautiful.But now has spread all over world.I've seen it just in the right side .Nope i don't believe that mans can wear it,but the mans can wear earrings,i believe that the firs mans which wear earrings was the Indians.

3. What about the "kohl(eyes makeup)",was invented by the indians also?

NNA for life said:

Gagan
    Watch this movie and you will notice that in the past just the married women wear Bindi.

Ashoka-Rat ka nasha abhi
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7hYc...eature=related
    The women which sing wear Bindi and she speak about her first night of marriage,Kareena don't wear Bindi,but in her imagination wear bindi(when she imagine that she is whit Ashoka).

Mughal-e-azam -Teri mehfil mein
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxdhj...eature=related
    Madhubala and the other singer and also the backround girls don't wear bindi.

Mughal E Azam - Mohe Panghat Pe
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJOkk...eature=related
    Madhubala and the dancers don't wear bindi,but Jodha wife of Akbar the great wear bindi.

Jodhaa Akbar - Man Mohana
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnig_...eature=related
    Jodha wear bindi after her marriage whit Akbar.

So Gagan Indian start to lose its own traditions?

songlover26 said:

Quote Originally Posted by NNA for life View Post
    Gagan my point.Well i've seen "Mohobbtein" a hindi movie from 2000,i am sure you've seen it.
    Teeka---Shah Rukh Khan in a morning put a "teeka" on amitabh forehead.
    Bindi---Well a lot of girls wear bindi
    Bindi(married women)---At the end of the movie"Mohabbatein",when "Pairon main bhandan hai" is sing it ,the father in law of Kiran erase her bindi and this thing mean that he remove her oath to his son(marriage) which was dead long ago but he refused to believe that he is dead till now.
    Tell me that you have seen the movie
    Yes I have seen it

Teeka

Teeka is something Hindus put on their head after praying. Or when they go to temple the preist puts a teeka on your head.
    I would recommend You a movie named atithi kab Jaoge (guest when will you go) Some scenes will show you preists putting teekas on foreheads of those coming to sing the praise of the goddess plus it also shows the Lord Ganesh Festival celebrated with pomp a nd show in the state of Maharashtra. So...I think u will benefit and enjoy as it is a comedy movie

U are correct Bindi is usually a sign of being married but more importantly women put it to look good. all over the world in world culture women do so many things to look beautiful. Like putting Maskara in eyes,Kajal U can say Bindi is one of the items on the list of Indian women.
    But a widow whose husband has died recently will not do makeup or stuff like that. as a mark of grief.
    So that is why He erases her Bindi. To make her realize that she is no longer married .

songlover26 said:

Gagan
    Watch this movie and you will notice that in the past just the married women wear Bindi.

Ashoka-Rat ka nasha abhi
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7hYc...eature=related
    The women which sing wear Bindi and she speak about her first night of marriage,Kareena don't wear Bindi,but in her imagination wear bindi(when she imagine that she is whit Ashoka).

Mughal-e-azam -Teri mehfil mein
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxdhj...eature=related
    Madhubala and the other singer and also the backround girls don't wear bindi.

Mughal E Azam - Mohe Panghat Pe
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJOkk...eature=related
    Madhubala and the dancers don't wear bindi,but Jodha wife of Akbar the great wear bindi.

Jodhaa Akbar - Man Mohana
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnig_...eature=related
    Jodha wear bindi after her marriage whit Akbar.

So Gagan Indian start to lose its own traditions?

Well Movies sometimes are more spice than reality
    Plus these days Bindi is a matter of choice. A part of looking good accessories

7. Crisa said:

"1. Why in all the pictures the Hindu gods have blue skin ?"
    Not in all.In mughal-e-Azam movie,Nandlal was made from gold and was yellow.The Shiva god also i've seen it many times having human skin.I believe that some of them are colored blue,because the ppl believe that they are spirits and they are up in the sky"upperwalle=the ones from UP".

"2. What's the meaning of the nose pin/ ring ? Can it be wore only on the right or only on the left side? Can men wear it too ?"
    This traditions are very old.The "nose pin or Nathani" i believe it was just thing which should make a women beautiful.But now has spread all over world.I've seen it just in the right side .Nope i don't believe that mans can wear it,but the mans can wear earrings,i believe that the firs mans which wear earrings was the Indians.

3. What about the "kohl(eyes makeup)",was invented by the indians also?

Thanks for the infos.

I think kohl was invented by the ancient Egyptians ...

NNA for life said:

Yep egyptians i believe also,but just because they have a very long history :P

miss daisy said:

Lol!! :d

al_habibi said:

hows eveone doing?!

miss daisy said:

gr88 el hamdulellah U?

miss daisy said:

guys, I have a question..no offense of course and forgive my ignorance

why do some Indians stay away from eating meat???

songlover26 said:

Quote Originally Posted by miss daisy View Post
    guys, I have a question..no offense of course and forgive my ignorance

why do some Indians stay away from eating meat???
    Hi

Well it is a both a matter of choice and a matter of religion.

Choice = You don't like it, You prefer vegetables. It is a Choice.

Religion = Some Hindus (Not all) Don't eat Meat for Religious purposes. In Ancient times The Hindu Society was divided in 4 classes.

First came Brahmans = The Upper Class Hindus. Priests who performed the rites from Vedas

2. Kshatriyas - Warrior Class - Who's job was to defend the Country

3. Vaishyas = Trader cLass

4. Shudras = Untouchables Low Class That included Garbage Grabbers, Sweepers.

So today also the Hindus who trace their ancestry to Brahmin Class Don't prefer to eat meat.

You can Find More Reference of this in Movies like

Ajab Prem Ki Gajab Kahani ](The Amazing Story of Strange Love)

Rehna hai tere Dil Mein (Want to live in your heart)

in Rehna hai tere Dil Mein there is a scene where The Hero is trying to impress a girl and he has to eat Chicken ...and He is talking to himself while eating. "Madhav (his Name) ..You are a Brahman and you are eating chicken for the sake of a girl..Shame on you" Funny Scene

Other than this

Many people abstain eating from meat (even the Non Vegetarians) on Tuesdays for religios purposes.

Meat is also avoided by Hindus on Religious days such as Janamashatami = Birth Day of lord Krishna. etc.
    Last edited by songlover26; 09-09-2010 at 12:50 AM.

NNA for life said:

I love the scene from Ajab Prem Ki Gajab Kahani )
    He betrayed his religion,family,way of thinking and eat meet because of katrina.But katrina was vegetarian =))

miss daisy said:

oh, thanks gagan !

miss daisy said:

I love the scene from Ajab Prem Ki Gajab Kahani )
    He betrayed his religion,family,way of thinking and eat meet because of katrina.But katrina was vegetarian =))
    I saw that scene it was totally funny, and his friends were trying to make him eat meat

songlover26 said:

And I forget to mention that even the Non Vegetarian Hindus do not eat Beef (Meat of Cow) as Cow is considered a sacred animal. But to many reasons.

For more Info on the importance of Cows to Hindus. You can consult this Link

http://hinduism.about.com/od/vegetar...a/holycows.htm

songlover26 said:

I love the scene from Ajab Prem Ki Gajab Kahani
    Ya Me too....U got to see Ranbir's Face when Katrina says...I am PURE VEGETARIAN...
    But My Fav scene is the one when...
    Goons Kidnap Katrina...They have that funny fight...with Katrina always hitting the wrong person...
    Do U rem the scene when Ranbir's Father comes and says an emotional dialogue...
    Ranbir says...Oh! What a Dialogue father say that again...
    And Without any hesitation his fathers starts saying the same thing ...Oh! I remember... I laughed so hard at it....

NNA for life said:

When the song "Mein teri dadhakan" its playing is one of my fav scene. =))
    i loved that guys which start to mess around,ranbir's friends and the mafia.

songlover26 said:

When the song "Mein teri dadhakan" its playing is one of my fav scene. =))
    i loved that guys which start to mess around,ranbir's friends and the mafia.

Where is that Song? I can't remember.... ...