Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,680 Posts

I'm reading your post and laughing at your sig

But I didnt know teens were invincible arent we weak and easily swayed with poor innocent minds that need to be protected?

Thanks

My sig well about 2 years ago somebody on ATL asked me if I was having my second childhood. And said nope, it's just that I haven't finished my first one yet

Yes your poor innocent minds, ooooh you poor dears au contraire, 'tis us who need protection from you?
    Having problems with vertigo for 2-3 days ... it's temporary, a mild case and it will pass, but for now I can't stay on the computer as much as normal :-/ ...

Thanks

@ songlover26: What a wonderful topic! You (and others) have done a very good job of getting the sense of many sayings. I look forward to joining in at a later date! Thank you so much. All I can say, you must love English to have done so much work on this topic. (I am an American English 'speaker,' but I love English too!)

Thanks

can of worms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie Jasmine View Post
    @ songlover26: What a wonderful topic! You (and others) have done a very good job of getting the sense of many sayings. I look forward to joining in at a later date! Thank you so much. All I can say, you must love English to have done so much work on this topic. (I am an American English 'speaker,' but I love English too!)

I am glad you liked it
    Tum takalluf ko hii iKhlaas samajhate ho 'Faraz'
    dost hotaa nahii.n har haath milaane vaalaa - [Ahmed Faraz]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalestina View Post
    can of worms
    Noor . . . Leave it to you to open a can of worms on such a nice thread!

Miss ya--How are you?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie Jasmine View Post
    Noor . . . Leave it to you to open a can of worms on such a nice thread!

Miss ya--How are you?
    I thought it could do with some sprucing I'm still alive miraculously Just trying to keep up with all the information being stuffed in my head before my exams

9. The Following User Says Thank You to songlover26 For This Useful Post:
    Frankie Jasmine (05-25-2011)

Thanks

Story: Never Miss the first Opportunity

A young man wanted to marry a framer’s beautiful daughter. He went to the farmer to speak for her. The framer looked at him and said, son go stand in the field. I am going ton release three bulls, one at a time. If you catch any one of the bulls by its tail, you can marry my daughter.

The young man stood in the pasture awaiting the first bull. The barn door opened and out ran the meanest and the strongest bull he has ever seen. He thought that the next bull would be as better choice than this one, so he ran over to the side and let the bull pass.
    The barn door opened again. Unbelievable! He had never seen anything so big and fierce in his life!
    The bull stood grunting and eyeing him. Whatever the next bull was it had to be a better choice that this.
    He ran to the fence and let this bull pass too.

The door opened and the third time. A smile came across the boy’s face. This was the weakest scrawniest little bull he had ever see. This was his bull. As the bull came running towards him, he positioned himself just right and jumped at the exact moment. He grabbed….but the bull had no tail

Life is full of opportunities. Some will be easy to take advantage of and some will be difficult. But once we let them pass, those opportunities may never again be available. So always grab the first opportunity.

Thanks

hey folks I don't know where else ask this but I was playing a game and in some missions I have to play hamlet in a theatre so they use some kind if old english which I really like it

here is the video and I will list some parts that are confusing to me I hope you can help understand it

1:28 thy, thou - I'm gessing it's "you"
    1:31 if thou ever thy dear father love - this it's like "if you ever loved your father" am I right?
    and in the same time it says revenge his foul - again I'm guessing it is "soul" though I can be wrong
    1:55 Else, thou art a human - that art is playing the role of an "are", right?
    2:09 whilst - that word is just new to me and also the fist part in the subtitles says 'Tis, again I'm gessing is "it is"
    at 2:40 the serpent that did sting they father's life - why they? should'n be thy?
    and last at 3:02 Ay, father - the "ay" it's like in spanish that denotes pain or sorrow?

PD. I know there are dictionaries but I prefer this way
    Thou art I and I am thou

Thanks

1:28 - You
    1:31 - If you loved your father, revenge his foul and most unnatural murder. (Murder is a foul crime)
    1:55 - Are
    2:09 - Whilst = While .......Tis= It is
    2:40 - It should be "Thy" it's a typo on the screen
    3:02 - Ay = Yes .......I would spell it "Aye" Scottish for yes
    Ρεμπέτικο για πάντα. Μάγκες είμαστε.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mixalopoulos For This Useful Post:
    Erito (06-22-2011)

Thanks

Filippe,

can you please explain this idiom to me because i've never heard it and i had a request to translate it in Greek but i'm not sure if my translation will be ok:

“To rebel in season is not to rebel.”

I know how to translate it "word by word" but i'm not sure that i'll communicate its meaning....
    The most charming creatures on this earth. The only women who can show what they feel and, they do feel.
    Stunning feeling...to just meet them.

Tyrannosaurus Regina partizanka's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm pretending to be Filippe cos I liked this line... Maybe he can tell if he agrees with this meaning or not, but I think it is saying that rebelling when it's the "right time" (i.e. because it's convenient or in fashion to rebel) is not really rebelling.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to partizanka For This Useful Post:
    safe1 (06-23-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by partizanka View Post
    I'm pretending to be Filippe cos I liked this line... Maybe he can tell if he agrees with this meaning or not, but I think it is saying that rebelling when it's the "right time" (i.e. because it's convenient or in fashion to rebel) is not really rebelling.
    Yep, that's about it.
    Ρεμπέτικο για πάντα. Μάγκες είμαστε.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mixalopoulos For This Useful Post:
    safe1 (06-23-2011)

Thanks

American comedian George Carlin (quite a rebel "in his day," by the way) discusses "Everyday Expressions" (only one sort-of-mild sexual reference--that's "holding back" for George Carlin!):

Thanks

Comedian George Carlin, describes himself using tech-language, idioms and phrases. I'd love to transcribe this one day just to be able to absorb all that he says--he speaks so quickly! If I do transcribe it, I'll post it on this thread:

Thanks

I made a question here that could be more related to this thread because it's an idiom or phrasal (not sure) more than anything else... If anyone can check it, I'd appreciate it really

Thanks in advance!

Thanks

Story: The Greatest Silversmith

There was a group of women who met for the Bible study. While studying they came across the following verse – “He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver”
    The verse puzzled them and they wondered how it applied to the nature of God. One of the women suggested that the only way to find out is to find out more about the process of refining silver.
    The following week the woman called up a silversmith and made an appointment to watch him work while at work. She didn’t mention anything about the reason behind her curiosity.
    As she watched him work the silversmith held a piece of unrefined silver over the fire and let it heat up. He explained “To refine silver one needs to hold the silver in middle of fire where the flames are the hottest to burn away all the impurities.” The woman thought about God holding us in such a hot stop as she recalled the verse.
    She asked if it was true that he had to sit the entire time in front of fire while the silver was being refined. The man replied “Not only have I to sit but also keep an eye on it the entire time. If the silver was left even for a moment too long in fire it could be spoilt.
    The woman was silent for a moment, and then asked “But how do you know when the silver is fully refined?”
    The man smiled and replied, “Oh! That’s simple when I see my image in it.”
    If today you are feeling the heat remember you are in God’s hands and he will keep holding you. He is keeping a watch over you and will keep on watching till He sees His image in you.

Thanks

* "A stiff one" = a glass of strong liquor, usually not much diluted. "Pour me a stiff one." (There is also an "X" rated meaning to this, so be careful if you use the phrase.)
    * "On a merry-go-round" = on a carousel, meaning you've been moving, moving, getting tired out, but not really getting anywhere.
    * "by leaps & bounds" = a lot! usually quickly. E.g., a child who's growing by "leaps & bounds," is growing a lot, quickly.
    * "Up a tree" = stuck, with seemingly no answer/solution to a problem.
    * "Winding down" = (i.e., "winding" as winding a clock) slowing down, about to end. Or a child in the evening . . . beginning to tire out for bedtime.
    * "Good God willin' and the creek don't rise" = whatever I say, I will do unless something "big" keeps me from it. Sometimes said when saying "See you again soon, good God willin' and the creek don't rise." "God willin'" is from the Bible. "Creek don't rise" poor English, from the old days when rains might literally come and prevent a person from reaching a neighbor because the creek is "swollen" (flooded).
    * "Get to first base" = a baseball reference, applied to male/female relations = They kissed. (We won't go to "second base" as you should be married to do this anyway!)
    * "Threw me for a loop" = whatever happened really made me confused and maybe upset for a while. (As though dizzy, going around in a loop or circle.)
    * "Zip your lip. Button your lip. Shut your trap. Stick a sock in it." = Smart-alec way to tell someone to "be quiet, don't talk." Often said to children.
    * "Get a move on. Hustle. Put a fire under it. Get jumpin'/movin'. Put a stick of dynamite under it." = All mean, either move quickly or get to work, quit being slow or lazy.
    * "Too big for your britches" = britches = breeches = pants, overalls, or trousers. Which means 'you're acting too smart for how you really are' or 'you're sassing/back-talking/back-chatting' often said to children, putting them "in their place" when they are "mouthy" (speaking to an adult as they should not.)

Hope these are not already ones posted. This used to be one of my favorite threads! Hope it gets going again!
    Last edited by Frankie Jasmine; 06-16-2012 at 10:01 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankie Jasmine For This Useful Post:

Thanks

This word was brought out on another thread: shady.

Literal: (This is the primary meaning of "shady")

(1) The area where there is a shadow from something, like a tree.

* "Let's go to the shady area of the park to have our lunch." = Looking for trees, to sit in the coolness of their shadows.
    * "I will walk on the shady side of the street." = In the shadows from the buildings; not in direct sunlight.

Figurative:

(2) An area, a person, or an endeavor (action) which is unlawful, usually implying potential risk or danger, from either law enforcement, criminals, or both.

* "Be careful in the city--34th Street through 47th Street is shady." = Illegal/risky/dangerous activities happen in that area.
    * "I've been watching that woman hanging around the corner--I think she's shady." OR "I think she's up to something shady." Usually this implies prostitution or blatant display of sex (even without the exchange of money). Sometimes such a woman is referred to as "a shady lady," an older term, rather mild, referring to prostitution.
    * "That guy made a shady proposition to me." = That guy tried to involve me in some business that's unlawful (for example--illegal sales--anything from illegal ticket sales to drugs or a large illegal business deal or scam); or any business proposed that is against the law.

Any questions?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast