Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 680 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie Jasmine View Post
    This word was brought out on another thread: shady.

Any questions?
    Do you belive there is a "shady goverment"?
    "Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to?
    You will never find that life for which you are looking.
    When the gods created man they allotted to him death,
    but life they retained in their own keeping"

Thanks

If no one else minds Amethystos I want to try to answer that one. My best friend could argue some English professors into a state of suicidal depression so i have a lot of practice talking about stuff like this but on the more serious side, my Dad has a career in behind the scenes government (i mean he is NOT a politician and in fact politics disgust him) and so that's another reason for me to be interested by your question.

There are "shady people" in government but it's probably not the best thing to say that government is shady all by itself. There can also be "shady government dealings" (actions or intentions) but once again that means people who exercise the authority of government rather than government itself.

But I suppose the phrase "shady government" could be used as a Personification...in the same class as a Metaphor or Simile.

I hope this is not too much and not too little but just the right amount of clarification
    Music is what feelings sound like
    Listen to the Love
    ~♥♥~

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teshka For This Useful Post:
    Amethystos (07-14-2012),Frankie Jasmine (07-13-2012)

Thanks

Teshka,

Excellent explanation!
    I agree totally. For any who want more details:

"Shady" refers to something on a smaller scale (individual, small group, or dealings by such groups or individuals, etc.).

Regarding a government, we would use the much stronger word "corrupt."

There is something about the connotation of "shady" that keeps it from applying to something as massive as a government. As Teshka said, more likely, "shady" would be applied to individuals or actions within a part of a government, not the government as a whole.

The word "shady" does not have as much impact as "corrupt," which is severe and thorough. "Shady" is bad; illegal; sneaky; immoral; and someone will "lose out" somehow. Being "shady" means operating "under the radar" of the law--hence it cannot be too big, or it would be called something else. "Shady" operations give the impression of being not-so-well run, sometimes "off the cuff," or without as much technical or business expertise as organized crime.

Think of the expression "shady" as (originally) being transactions happening in the shadows or shade of buildings, on the side, where it could not be seen easily when people passed by. Nowdays it occurs in many places and different ways.

"Shady operations or transactions" usually don't directly involve murder or executions (although getting killed may be a consequence if something goes wrong along the way). It involves mainly financial gain at the risk of other persons or businesses, etc. In "shady operations," victims might suffer threats, beatings, being stolen from or bilked, scammed, extorted, blackmailed, harrassed, stalked--anything along these lines. The American expression "loan shark" is a good example. If the loan shark is operating on his/her own (not through organized crime rings), money would be loaned to people desperate for cash and charged a high interest rate, due within a short period of time. Anyone borrowing and not repaying on time, would be subject to physical harm (beaten, for example) and further threats to their own or their family's well-being.

On the other hand, gangs, gangsters, the Mafia, and drug cartels are highly organized. More mortal danger is involved because there is a fine-tuned heirarchy, a definite set of rules/laws within its operations, and its enforcement is with an iron fist.

So the "shady area of the city" someone tells you to avoid would imply there are many different unlawful things going on there, it is not safe, you would probably be in danger or a target of something "shady" and violence is common.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankie Jasmine For This Useful Post:
    Amethystos (07-14-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 680 Posts

Teshka and Frankie, I both thank you for your answers
    "Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to?
    You will never find that life for which you are looking.
    When the gods created man they allotted to him death,
    but life they retained in their own keeping"

Thanks

Proverbs for young and old

1. Absence makes the heart grow fonder
    2. Absence diminishes little passions and increases great ones
    3. Absence sharpens love, presence strengthens it.
    4. Don’t be afraid of growing slowly be afraid of standing still
    5. Doing is better than saying
    6. What’s done cannot be undone
    7. Between the mouth and the morsel many things can happen
    8. Woes unite foes
    9. Adversity is the touchstone of virtue.
    10. Misfortune comes on horseback and departs on foot.
    11. Good counsel never comes to late
    12. We may give advice, but we cannot give conduct
    13. While the discreet advice the fools do their business
    14. Advice must be followed and not praised
    15. Advice when most needed is least heeded
    16. Write down the advice of the one who loves you, though you like it not at present
    17. If the counsel be good no matter who gave it
    18. Anger and haste hinder good counsel
    19. Never too late to learn
    20. Old age to the unlearned is winter, to the learned is harvest - Yiddish
    21. When wine is in wit is out
    22. Wine and wisdom don’t mix
    23. Nothing seek, Nothing find
    24. The best is the enemy of the good
    25. Hasty climbers have sudden falls
    26. He who rides the tiger is afraid to dismount
    27. He who is angry is seldom at ease
    28. Anger punishes itself
    29. Anger has no eyes
    30. When a man grows angry his reason rides out
    31. When wrath speaks wisdom veils her face
    32. Anger begins with folly and ends with repentance
    33. Patience provoked turns to fury
    34. Anger dies quickly with a good man
    35. He who slowly gets angry keeps his anger longer
    36. Let not the sun go down upon your wrath
    37. A soft answer turns away the anger
    38. Never answer a letter while you are angry – Chinese
    39. Fear of death is worse than death itself
    40. Poison is poison though it comes in the golden cup
    41. Never judge from appearance
    42. Handsome is as handsome does
    43. It takes two to make a quarrel
    44. Least said soon mended
    Tum takalluf ko hii iKhlaas samajhate ho 'Faraz'
    dost hotaa nahii.n har haath milaane vaalaa - [Ahmed Faraz]

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to songlover26 For This Useful Post:
    Amethystos (09-08-2012),Frankie Jasmine (09-08-2012)

Thanks

Thank you, Songlover . . . this is "Wisdom in a dram bottle." Strong essence, few words. I hope many people read it. There are many things here from which I need to learn; but the one that captures my heart today is:

2. Absence diminishes little passions and increases great ones

Thanks

My pleasure Frankie

Thanks

Selected Quotes of Confucious

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.

It is easy to hate and it is difficult to love. This is how the whole scheme of things works. All good things are difficult to achieve; and bad things are very easy to get.

If I am walking with two other men, each of them will serve as my teacher. I will pick out the good points of the one and imitate them, and the bad points of the other and correct them in myself.

It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.

Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without.

Without feelings of respect, what is there to distinguish men from beasts?

Wisdom, compassion, and courage are the three universally recognized moral qualities of men.

The more man meditates upon good thoughts, the better will be his world and the world at large.

You cannot open a book without learning something.

To see and listen to the wicked is already the beginning of wickedness.

Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself.

Virtue is not left to stand alone. He who practices it will have neighbors.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to songlover26 For This Useful Post:
    Frankie Jasmine (09-11-2012)

Thanks

Selected Quotes of Aristotle

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies.

Anybody can become angry - that is easy, but to be angry with the right person and to the right degree and at the right time and for the right purpose, and in the right way - that is not within everybody's power and is not easy.

All human actions have one or more of these seven causes: chance, nature, compulsions, habit, reason, passion, desire.

Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow ripening fruit.

Those who educate children well and teach them high morals and ethics are more to be honored than they who produce them; for these only gave them life, those the art of living well.

Jealousy is both reasonable and belongs to reasonable men, while envy is base and belongs to the base, for the one makes himself get good things by jealousy, while the other does not allow his neighbor to have them through envy.

Good habits formed at youth make all the difference.

He who hath many friends hath none.

Thanks

Story

Demons In The Desert
    [The Correct Way Of Thinking]

Once upon a time there were two friends who were travelling on a business trip to sell goods and merchandise so they had to decide whether to travel together. They agreed that, since each had about 500 carts, and they were going to the same place along the same road, it would be too crowded to go at he same time. One decided that it would be much better to go first. He thought, “The road will not be rutted by the carts, the bullocks will be able to choose the best of all the grass, we will find the best fruits and vegetables to eat, my people will appreciate my leadership and, in the end, I will be able to bargain for the best prices.”
    The other merchant considered carefully and realized there were advantages to going second. He
    thought, “My friend’s carts will level the ground so we won’t have to do any road work, his bullocks will
    eat the old rough grass and new tender shoots will spring up for mine to eat. In the same way, they will
    pick the old fruits and vegetables and fresh ones will grow for us to enjoy. I won’t have to waste my time
    bargaining when I can take the price already set and make my profit.” So he agreed to let his friend go
    first. This friend was sure he’d fooled him and gotten the best of him – so he set out first on the journey. The merchant who went first had a troublesome time of it. They came to a wilderness called the ‘Waterless Desert’, which the local people said was haunted by demons. When the caravan reached the middle of it, they met a large group coming from the opposite direction. They had carts that were mud smeared and dripping with water. They had lotuses and water lilies in their hands and in the carts. The head man, who had a know-it-all attitude, said to the merchant, “Why are you carrying these heavy loads of water? In a short time you will reach that oasis on the horizon with plenty of water to drink and dates to eat. Your bullocks are tired from pulling those heavy carts fi lled with extra water – so throw away the water and be kind to your overworked animals!”
    Even though the local people had warned them, the merchant did not realize that these were not real people, but demons in disguise. They were even in danger of being eaten by them. Being confi dent that they were helpful people, he followed their advice and had all his water emptied onto the ground.As they continued on their way they found no oasis or any water at all. Some realized they’d been fooled by beings that might have been demons, and started to grumble and accuse the merchant. At the end of the day, all the people were tired out. The bullocks were too weak from lack of water to pull their heavy carts. All the people and animals lay down in a haphazard manner and fell into a deep sleep. Lo and behold, during the night the demons came in their true frightening forms and gobbled up all the weak defenseless beings. When they were done there were only bones lying scattered around not one human or animal was left alive. After several months, the second merchant began his journey along the same way. When he arrived at the wilderness, he assembled all his people and advised them – “This is called the ‘Waterless Desert’ and I have heard that it is haunted by demons and ghosts. Therefore we should be careful. Since there may be poison plants and foul water, don’t drink any local water without asking me.” In this way they started into the desert.
    After getting about halfway through, in the same way as with the fi rst caravan, they were met by the water soaked demons in disguise. They told them the oasis was near and they should throw away their water. But the wise merchant saw through them right away. He knew it didn’t make sense to have an oasis in a place called ‘Waterless Desert’. And besides, these people had bulging red eyes and an aggressive and pushy attitude, so he suspected they might be demons. He told them to leave them alone saying, “We are business men who don’t throw away good water before we know where the next is coming from.”Then seeing that his own people had doubts, the merchant said to them, “Don’t believe these people, who may be demons, until we actually find water. The oasis they point to may be just an illusion or a mirage. Have you ever heard of water in this ‘Waterless Desert’? Do you feel any rain-wind or see any storm clouds?” They all said, “No”, and he continued, “If we believe these strangers and throw away our water, then later we may not have any to drink or cook with then we will be weak and thirsty it would be easy for demons to come and rob us, or even eat us up!
    Therefore, until we really find water, do not waste even a drop!”The caravan continued on its way and, that evening, reached the place where the first caravan’s people and bullocks had been killed and eaten by the demons. They found the carts and human and animal bones lying all around. They recognized that the fully loaded carts and the scattered bones belonged to the former caravan. The wise merchant told certain people to stand watch around the camp during the night.The next morning the people ate breakfast, and fed their bullocks well. They added to their goods the most valuable things left from the fi rst caravan. So they finished their journey very successfully, and returned home safely so that they and their families could enjoy their profits.

The moral is: One must always be wise enough not to be fooled by tricky talk and false appearances.

Thanks

Story

Finding A New Spring - [Perseverance]

Once a tradesman was leading his caravan to another country to sell his goods. A long the way they came to the edge hot-sand desert. They asked about, and found that during the day time the sun heats up the fi ne sand until it’s as hot as charcoal, so no one can walk on it not even bullocks or camels! So the caravan leader hired a desert guide, one who could follow the stars, so they could travel only at night when the sand cools down. They began the dangerous night time journey across the desert. A couple nights later, after eating their evening meal, and waiting for the sand to cool, they started out again. Later that night the desert guide, who was driving the first cart, saw from the stars that they were
    getting close to the other side of the desert. He had also overeaten, so that when he relaxed, he dozed off to sleep. Then the bullocks who, of course, couldn’t tell directions by reading the stars, gradually turned to the side and went in a big wide circle until they ended up at the same place they had started from! By then it was morning, and the people realized they were back at the same spot they’d camped at the
    day before. They lost heart and began to cry about their condition. Since the desert crossing was supposed to be over by now, they had no more water and were afraid they would die of thirst. They even began to blame the caravan leader and the desert guide – “We can do nothing without water!”, they complained. Then the tradesman thought to himself, “If I lose courage now, in the middle of this disastrous situation, my leadership has no meaning. If I fall to weeping and regretting this misfortune, and do nothing, all these goods and bullocks and even the lives of the people, including myself, may be lost. I must be energetic and face the situation!” So he began walking back and forth, trying to think out a plan to save them all.
    Remaining alert, out of the corner of his eye, he noticed a small clump of grass. He thought, “Without
    water, no plant could live in this desert.” So he called over the most energetic of his fellow travellers and
    asked them to dig up the ground on that very spot. They dug and dug, and after a while they got down to a large stone. Seeing it they stopped, and began to blame the leader again, saying “This effort is useless. We’re just wasting our time!” But the tradesman replied, “No no, my friends, if we give up the effort we will all be ruined and our poor animals will die – let us be encouraged!” As he said this, he got down into the hole, put his ear to the stone, and heard the sound of fl owing
    water. Immediately, he called over a boy who had been digging and said, “If you give up, we will all perish so take this heavy hammer and strike the rock.”
    The boy lifted the hammer over his head and hit the rock as hard as he could – and he himself was the
    most surprised when the rock spilt in two and a mighty flow of water gushed out from under it! Suddenly, all the people were overjoyed. They drank and bathed and washed the animals and cooked their food and ate.
    Before they left, they raised a high banner so that other travellers could see it from afar and come
    to the new spring in the middle of the hot-sand desert. Then they continued on safely to the end of their
    journey.

The moral is: Don’t give up too easily – keep on trying until you reach the goal.

Thanks

Story

When Alexander the Great was coming to India he met one great man, Diogenes. In their dialogue there is one point which is relevant. Diogenes asked him, "What are you going to do after you have conquered the whole world?"

Alexander said, "After I have conquered the whole world, I am going to relax, just like you."

Diogenes was having a sunbath, naked. He lived naked, by the side of a river, and he was lying in the sand enjoying the morning sun and the cool breeze.

Diogenes laughed and he said, "If after conquering the whole world you are just going to relax like me, why not relax right now? Is conquering the whole world a precondition for relaxation? I have not conquered the whole world."

Alexander felt embarrassed because what he was saying was right. Then Diogenes said, "Why are you wasting your life in conquering the world -- only to relax, finally, just like me. This bank of the river is big enough, you can come, your friends can come. It is miles long and the forest is beautiful. And I don't possess anything. If you like the place where I am lying down, I can change!"

Alexander said, "Perhaps you are right, but first I have to conquer the world."

Diogenes said, "It is up to you. But remember one thing: have you ever thought that there is no other world? Once you have conquered this world, you will be in difficulty."

It is said that Alexander became immediately sad. He said, "I have never thought about it. It makes me feel very sad that I am so close to conquering the world ... and I am only thirty-three, and there is no other world to conquer."

Diogenes said, "But you were thinking to relax. If there was another world, I think first you would conquer that and then relax. You will never relax because you don't understand a simple thing about relaxation -- it's either now or never. If you understand it, lie down, throw these clothes in the river.

If you don't understand, forget about relaxation. And what is the point in conquering the world? What are you going to gain by it? Except losing your life, you are not going to gain anything."

Alexander said, "I would like to see you again when I come back. Right now I have to go, but I would have loved to sit and listen to you. I have always thought of meeting you -- I have heard so many stories about you. But I have never met such a beautiful and impressive man as you. Can I do anything for you? Just a word, a hint from you, and it will be done."

Diogenes said, "If you can just stand a little to the side, because you are preventing the sun. That will be enough gratitude -- and I will remain thankful for my whole life."

When Alexander was leaving him, Diogenes told him, "Remember one thing: you will never be able to come back home because your ambition is too great and life is too short. You will never be able to fulfill your ambitions, and you will never be able to come back home."

And actually it happened that Alexander never could reach back home. He died when he was returning from India, just on the way.

Thanks

A disciple and his teacher were walking through the forest.

He asked his teacher, "Why do only a few possess a calm mind?

The teacher spoke, "An elephant was once picking leaves from a tree. A small fly came buzzing near his ear. The elephant waved it away with his long ears. The fly came again, and the elephant waved it away once more.

"This was repeated several times. The elephant asked the fly: 'Why are you so restless and noisy? Why can't you stay for a while in one place?' The fly answered: 'I am attracted to whatever I see, hear or smell.

My five senses, and everything that happens around me, pull me constantly in all directions and I cannot resist them. What is your secret? How can you stay so calm and still?'

"The elephant stopped eating and said: 'My five senses do not rule my attention. I am in control of my attention, and I can direct it wherever I want. This helps me to get immersed in whatever I do, and therefore, my mind is focused and calm. Now that I am eating, I am completely immersed in eating. '"

Upon hearing these words, the disciple's eyes opened wide. He looked at his teacher and said, "I understand! My mind will be in constant unrest if my five senses, and whatever is happening in the world around me are distracting me. On the other hand, if I am in command of my five senses, I can disregard sense impressions, and my mind will become calm." "Yes, that's right," answered the teacher. "The mind is restless and goes wherever the attention is. Control your attention, and you control your mind."
    Last edited by songlover26; 02-25-2014 at 08:14 AM.

Thanks

Two travelling angels stopped to spend the night in the home of a wealthy family.

The family was rude and refused to let the angels stay in the mansion's guest room.
    Instead the angels were given a small space in the cold basement.

As they made their bed on the hard floor, the older angel saw a hole in the wall and repaired it.

When the younger angel asked why, the older angel replied,

"Things aren't always what they seem."

The next night the pair came to rest at the house of a very poor, but very hospitable farmer and his wife.

After sharing what little food they had, the couple let the angels sleep in their bed where they could have a good night's rest.

When the sun came up the next morning, the angels found the farmer and his wife in tears. Their only cow, whose milk had been their sole income, lay dead in the field.

The younger angel was infuriated and asked the older angel how he could have let this happen? ”The first man had everything, yet you helped him,” she accused. ‘The second family had little but was willing to share everything, and you let the cow die.”

"Things aren't always what they seem," the older angel replied. "When we stayed in the basement of the mansion, I noticed there was gold stored in that hole in the wall. Since the owner was so obsessed with greed and unwilling to share his good fortune, I sealed the wall so he wouldn't find it."

"Then last night as we slept in the farmers bed, the angel of death came for his wife. I gave him the cow instead

Thanks

Story

Love’s story

Once upon a time, there was an island where all the feelings lived: Happiness, Sadness, Knowledge, and all of the others, including Love. One day it was announced to the feelings that the island would sink, so all repaired their boats and left.

Love wanted to persevere until the last possible moment. When the island was almost sinking, Love decided to ask for help. Richness was passing by Love in a grand boat. Love said, "Richness, can you take me with you?" Richness answered, "No, I can’t. There is a lot of gold and silver in my boat. There is no place here for you."

Love decided to ask Vanity, who was also passing by in a beautiful vessel, "Vanity, please help me!" "I can’t help you Love. You are all wet and might damage my boat," Vanity answered.

Sadness was close by. So Love asked for help, "Sadness, let me go with you." "Oh....Love, I am so sad that I need to be by myself!"

Happiness passed by Love, too, but she was so happy that she did not even hear when Love called her!

Suddenly, there was a voice, "Come Love, I will take you." It was an elder. Love felt so blessed and overjoyed that he even forgot to ask the elder his name. When they arrived at dry land, the elder went his own way.

Love, realising how much he owed the elder, asked Knowledge, another elder, "Who helped me?" "It was Time," Knowledge answered. "Time?" asked Love. "But why did Time help me?" Knowledge smiled with deep wisdom and answered, "Because, only Time is capable of understanding how great Love is."

Thanks

Intriguing words

‘Cavalry’, the word used for soldiers on horseback today refers to soldiers who fight in armored vehicles. It originates from the Italian ‘cavallo’ or ‘horse’. ‘Calvary’ is the name of the hill outside Jerusalem on which Jesus Christ was crucified and it originates from the Latin ‘calvaria’ or ‘skull’. Of course, time has given a metaphorical slant to this word by putting it in use for ‘any scene of intense anguish’.

Thanks

Story

One day I hopped in a taxi and we took off for the airport. We were driving in the right lane when suddenly a black car jumped out of a parking space right in front of us.

My taxi driver slammed on his brakes, skidded, and missed the other car by just inches! The driver of the other car whipped his head around and started yelling at us.

My taxi driver just smiled and waved at the guy. And I mean, he was really friendly.

So I asked, "Why did you just do that? This guy almost ruined your car and sent us to the hospital!"

This is when my taxi driver taught me what I now call, "Law of the Garbage Truck."

He explained that many people are like garbage trucks. They run around full of garbage, full of frustration, full of anger, and full of disappointment. As their garbage piles up, they need a place to dump it and sometimes they’ll dump it on you. Don’t take it personally. Just smile, wave, wish them well, and move on. Don’t take their garbage and spread it to other people at work, at home, or on the streets.

The bottom line is that successful people do not let garbage trucks take over their day.

Life’s too short to wake up in the morning with regrets. So ... Love the people who treat you right. Pray for the ones who don’t.

Life is 10 per cent what you make it and 90 per cent how you take it! Have a blessed, garbage-free day!

Thanks

The mind finds its peace

One day, the Buddha was walking from one town to another with a few of his followers.

While they were travelling, they happened to pass by a lake. They stopped to rest there and the Buddha asked one of his disciples to get him some water from the lake.

A disciple walked up to the lake. When he reached it, he noticed some people were washing clothes in the water and, right at that moment, a bullock cart started crossing through the lake.

As a result, the water became very muddy. The disciple thought, “How can I give this muddy water to the Buddha to drink?”

So he came back and toldthe Buddha, “The water in the lake is very muddy. I don’t think it is suitable to drink

After a while, the Buddha again asked the same disciple to go back to the lake and get him some water.

The disciple obediently went back to the lake. This time he found that the mud had settled down and the water was clean so he collected some in a pot and brought it to the Buddha.

The Buddha looked at the water then looked up at the disciple and said, “See what you did to make the water clean. You let it be and the mud settled down on its own. It is also the same with your mind. When it is disturbed, just let it be. Give it a little time and it will settle down on its own.”

Thanks

Hello!everyone!
    some english sentences,I don't know .
    I think ,It passes for slang.
    Please anyone explain it,thanks!!!
    something like this:
    Now bring it all down!
    Now make it funky!
    we gonna do this here like this here why it's real funky you know what I'm say'n?

the above from http://lyricstranslate.com/en/2-live...ez-lyrics.html

Thanks

The worst conflagration may, it is said, be
    extinguished by water. But many tears have
    failed to extinguish the fire which burns in some
    hearts.

Though the attributes of God are all equally
    adorable, we find His mercy far easier to submit
    to, than His justice.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast