"honey"-something, adult-contemporary w/ brass section, female voice

Thread: "honey"-something, adult-contemporary w/ brass section, female voice

Tags: None
  1. hendrijkvh said:

Default "honey"-something, adult-contemporary w/ brass section, female voice

I heard a distinctive song when I was at CVS. CVS is a 24 hour pharmacy. The song playing was an adult-contemporary type song. There was a female vocalist. She had the Sarah McLachlan type voice, quite distinct sounding with a possible European accent to it. The main lyric I kept hearing repeated several times sounded like "honey-" and then another, one syllable word. It could have been "honey bell," "honey bear" (doubt it) or any number of other words containing the word "honey," although it sounded to me almost like she was saying "Honeywell" (electronics company.) Doubt it.

Other details about the song: it had a very, very prominent brass and horns section, much like the Beatles albums Sgt. Peppers and Magical Mystery Tour, which took over the song for the final 30 seconds of it or so. The last part of the song has no vocals and is just the instrumental section playing a riff. It sounded more like a recent indie/college rock song that might be played on the local alternative station than the type of song you'd expect to hear at a pharmacy.

I thought I heard the line "let's go dancing" at some point in the song's lyrics. The lyrics flowed consistantly, rather than being sparsely placed throughout the song. They sounded like more "wordy," Joni Mitchell type lyrics than just the typical simple and repetitive lyrics in a lot of mainstream music.

The song had a rather similar rhythm and flow to If Looks Could Kill by Camera Obscura. Had the same sound as Camera Obscura, The Sundays and several other female-vocalist alternative rock groups of the 1990s. Had a very mid-90s or early 90s sound to it.

2. Claybricks said:

Quote Originally Posted by hendrijkvh View Post
    I heard a distinctive song when I was at CVS. CVS is a 24 hour pharmacy. The song playing was an adult-contemporary type song. There was a female vocalist. She had the Sarah McLachlan type voice, quite distinct sounding with a possible European accent to it. The main lyric I kept hearing repeated several times sounded like "honey-" and then another, one syllable word. It could have been "honey bell," "honey bear" (doubt it) or any number of other words containing the word "honey," although it sounded to me almost like she was saying "Honeywell" (electronics company.) Doubt it.

Other details about the song: it had a very, very prominent brass and horns section, much like the Beatles albums Sgt. Peppers and Magical Mystery Tour, which took over the song for the final 30 seconds of it or so. The last part of the song has no vocals and is just the instrumental section playing a riff. It sounded more like a recent indie/college rock song that might be played on the local alternative station than the type of song you'd expect to hear at a pharmacy.

I thought I heard the line "let's go dancing" at some point in the song's lyrics. The lyrics flowed consistantly, rather than being sparsely placed throughout the song. They sounded like more "wordy," Joni Mitchell type lyrics than just the typical simple and repetitive lyrics in a lot of mainstream music.

The song had a rather similar rhythm and flow to If Looks Could Kill by Camera Obscura. Had the same sound as Camera Obscura, The Sundays and several other female-vocalist alternative rock groups of the 1990s. Had a very mid-90s or early 90s sound to it.
    CVS probably uses pre-recorded music. You could ask to see the music they play. If you could remember the other songs you heard at the same time, you could pin down the song.

Dan

3. hendrijkvh said:

I went to CVS, they didn't have a list of music I could look at. They told me they play the same music over and over and that I should come back at the same time I was there and that maybe I'd hear the song again. Last night I DREAMED I identified the song! How frustrating it was when I woke up! Does anyone else have an idea?

4. bugmenot1 said:

Did it sound like this song?

"Honey In The Sun" by Camera Obscura
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfDg7Vz8Ow4

5. hendrijkvh said:

Not it, unfortunately! The beat was more similar to Black and White Town by the Doves. Great song anyway.

6. bugmenot1 said:

"Summer Is The Champion" by Laura Veirs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gtyaZRD4fc