Bakın şu deyyusun kaç tarlası var

Aman da kızlar ne zor imiş burçak yolması
    Burçak tarlasında yar yar gelin olması
    Eğdirme fesini yavrum kalkar giderim
    Evini başına yar yar yıkar da giderim

Elimi salladım değdi dikene
    İnkisar eyledim yar yar burçak ekene
    İlahi kaynana ömrün tükene

There are many beautiful and cheeky versions. Unfortunately I don't know the interpreter of my above given favorite one. Someone wrote in youtube, it was sung by Feryal Öney, but a comparision with this clip lets me be in doubt about that.

2. Sofijski Mozart said:

Default Kardeş Türküler

It seems, that the above given version is from Kardeş Türküler.

The more versions I know, the more I love this song. Very nice performances I also heared from Grup Kardelen and (instrumental only on the album Turkish Folk Music Enstrumental 2) Yüreğimizdeki Ezgiler. Unfortunately I found no video clips for them.
    Last edited by Sofijski Mozart; 08-29-2010 at 07:19 AM.

SiLvEr_MooN said:

VETCH FIELD

When I woke up in the morning, there was the sound of azan
    It wasn't the sound of azan, there was vetch mourning*
    Look how many fields that cuckold has

Oh girls! How difficult it is to pull up vetches
    So is being a (newly-married) bride in a vetch field
    Don’t bow your head, my dear or I will leave!
    I will ruin you and leave!

I waved my hand and it touched a thorn (of a vetch)
    I cursed the one who sowed vetch
    Goodness (my) mother-in-law! May your life come to an end!

*I think, by "vetch mourning" she means "I feel like in mourning because of these vetches and of this hard work."

While looking for some information about the song to tell you, I have found out that this “türkü” is the story of a bride, who has just got married and who has to work in the field, even after the day she married, from early morning to evening, under the burning sun. She is in mutiny against her
    mother-in-law and her husband, who is his mama’s boy.

I may have misunderstood some expressions/sentences/words and I will appreciate it if someone tells me my faults, if there is any. I did my best.
    Last edited by SiLvEr_MooN; 08-31-2010 at 07:56 AM.

4. Sofijski Mozart said:

I thank you a thousand times for your very good translation and information!

I just knew, it must be a song for the gelin and against her mother-in-law, but more I didn't know. To be honest I'm a bit jealous of Turkish people since you have so many beautiful songs to smuggle little hints or clear-cut expressions by your music. I wish we had that in Germany, too.

Vielen, vielen Dank!

SiLvEr_MooN said:

Quote Originally Posted by Sofijski Mozart View Post
    I thank you a thousand times for your very good translation and information!

I just knew, it must be a song for the gelin and against her mother-in-law, but more I didn't know. To be honest I'm a bit jealous of Turkish people since you have so many beautiful songs to smuggle little hints or clear-cut expressions by your music. I wish we had that in Germany, too.

Vielen, vielen Dank!
    Bitte! Thanks for your nice words but I don't know what to say about your jealousy (just kidding)

6. Sofijski Mozart said:

Quote Originally Posted by SiLvEr_MooN View Post
    Bitte! ... but I don't know what to say about your jealousy
    Oh, I think it's alright - on condition that you continue translating for me (just kidding )

SiLvEr_MooN said:

Quote Originally Posted by Sofijski Mozart View Post
    Oh, I think it's alright - on condition that you continue translating for me (just kidding )
    Be sure that I will as long as the song is not too hard/full of old words

8. Sofijski Mozart said:

I know, I know I asked so many friends and they all said - dude, your lyrics are impossible to translate!

I'm the terror of all translators. My Bulgarian (chalga) requests are too boring or superficial, my Turkish (Türkü/Özgün) too difficult or political. Sorry - it's me :P

SiLvEr_MooN said:

It is not their being political, as we are dealing only with its "musical" side, but their difficulty is what makes them hard to translate. We can't escape you and your requests, it's you (I will ask the moderators to ban you! )

10. Sofijski Mozart said:

11. kalfaoglu said:

@Silver moon I think you have done good translation.

The most difficult part might be "yar yar burçak yası var" because of phases and idioms so specific to turkish language.
    My humble attempt to an contribution: "lementations from the vetches"
    /it wasn't the call to prayer, but lamentations from the vetches/

Personally, my favourite version of this song is Tulay German's.

:-)

12. Sofijski Mozart said:

Very soulful interpreted - thank you