Tags: None

Kama_K said:

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by pinky_girl View Post
    you gotta say: Man bayad khoone beram/man bayad beram khoone
    man bayad khane beravam
    Ahh I see. Thanks very much Dear !

Kama_K said:

I posted some Persian words on Yahoo Questions before asking what the words meant and how they can be used, in what contexts and such and somebody kindly answered and explained. May I share the list and perhaps we could discuss them about their exact meanings and how they can be used as i think these words are used frequently.

pinky_girl said:

of course you can share them with us!this is the best place for discussing about your questions

Kama_K said:

Thanks Pinky

Here they are:

haye
    hamin
    vaght
    injori
    kasi
    tarike
    hali
    akhar
    avaz
    aval

Now I asked about these questions because I'd here them quite alot and this is the explanation I got:

paye
    -It can mean "table leg" if it comes with 'miz' > paye-ye miz : table leg (miz:table)
    - or it can mean base,rank,grade,basis

Can paye mean anything else except this? I know that leg is 'Paa' but I thought that maybe 'Paye' could be something else and Paaye instead of legs. And I would like to ask, because it is 'Paaye' does that mean it's legs and 'Paa' on it's own would just be 'Leg?
    --------------------
    haye
    - "ha" is plural suffix .and "ye" or "e" is for relating one word to another so you can read it better
    > book:ketab , books:ketabha ,green book:ketabe sabz (ketab sabz is not correct so you say ketabE to read it) green books : ketabhaye sabz ( 'e' changes to 'ye' becuas "a" is vocal ketabhA,so after a vocal it changes to 'ye' )
    ---------------
    hamin
    -It can mean "just this"
    > do you want something else too?no just this
    > chize digei ham mikahyn? na,faghat hamin/na hamin

Could you also say 'Haminjoori' for this and it would mean the same as Hamin? Or could 'Haminjoori' mean 'Just like this' or something? (Just taking a guess here) Or does it mean something completely different?
    ------------------
    vaght
    time
    > at what time? che vaghti? (but at what time can be translated as "when" in Farsi,when its "vaghti")
    > time is gold : vaght talast

This can mean 'When' and 'Time' ? For example: 'Vaghti nisti' - When you're not here' / 'Inhame vaght - 'All this time'
    --------------------------
    injori
    like this,like this way
    > dont take picture like this :injuri ax nagir

Is 'Intori the same as 'Injoori'? Is 'Intori' formal and 'Injoori' informal?
    -----------------
    kasi
    anybody
    >anybody home? : kasi khune hast?

This may sound like a silly question (hehe) but for example if I say 'Nobody' 'Hichkasi' ? (I think) is there any difference if we say 'Hichkas' without the i, would that make the word somewhat different, to noone perhaps? :X

tarike
    >tarik : dark
    >tarike = tarik ast : It is dark
    in otagh tarike/in otagh tarik ast : this room is dark
    mostly "tarike" (thus way of talking) is used for speaking not for writing.
    ------------
    hali
    hmm this one is hard to say! (hal or hali)
    > che hali dad vaghti in kar ro kardim : doing that was cool/fun

Is hal different to hali? As before I have heard someone say something like 'Kheyli hal kardam' which I am not sure of the meaning really: Kheyli:Very, Hal:??, Kardam:I did(?)
    ----------------------
    akhar
    last

An example: Akharin bar (last time)?? or without the 'in' at the end??
    -----------------------
    avaz
    change
    you changed : to avaz shodi
    I want to change this dress : mikham in lebas ro avaz konam
    ---------------------
    aval
    first
    ------------------
    daghighan
    exactly
    >this is exactly what i was looking for : in daghighan hamun chizi hastesh ke donbalesh migashtam

Could we say: 'Shoma daghigham koja zendegi mikonid' - 'Where exactly do you live' ??
    -------------------------
    kenar
    by/beside
    > i was standing beside/by a wall : kenare ye divar istade boodam
    -------------------
    hezar
    1000,thousand
    ----------------------
    bezar
    let (its command verb)
    >let me do this : bezar man in kar ro bokonam
    --------------------
    mirese (miresad)
    it reaches.. the meaning change based on the text..it usually comes with another word that makes its meaning complete
    > this house is for sale : in khane be forush miresad

Could we have further explanation on this word?

5. Uglyrainbow said:

What's the meaning of mikoonid?

How do we say 'what time is it now'?

How can I say ' I learn Parsi from my teacher'

6. veryclever1980 said:

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Kama_K View Post

paye
    -It can mean "table leg" if it comes with 'miz' > paye-ye miz : table leg (miz:table)
    - or it can mean base,rank,grade,basis

Can paye mean anything else except this? I know that leg is 'Paa' but I thought that maybe 'Paye' could be something else and Paaye instead of legs. And I would like to ask, because it is 'Paaye' does that mean it's legs and 'Paa' on it's own would just be 'Leg?
    Hi my friend, let me explain them to you one by one.

About "Paye" (better to write it in this way "pâyeh"):

Those two concepts are definitely right. In informal speaking, we use pâyeh for having desire for doing some thing for example:

Pâyeh raftan be cinema hasti? Are you in the mood for going to the movies? or Do you like to go to the movies?

Pâyeh does not mean "Pâ + hâyeh", actually it means something like the leg or leg-like.

Considering "Pâ" -> "Pâ+yeh Man" = My leg
    -> "Pâ+hayeh Man" = My two legs or My two feet

hamin
    -It can mean "just this"
    > do you want something else too?no just this
    > chize digei ham mikahyn? na,faghat hamin/na hamin

Could you also say 'Haminjoori' for this and it would mean the same as Hamin? Or could 'Haminjoori' mean 'Just like this' or something? (Just taking a guess here) Or does it mean something completely different?
    No, you can't use "Haminjoori" in this situation. As you mentioned, "haminjoori" means "just like this" or "in this way".

vaght
    time
    > at what time? che vaghti? (but at what time can be translated as "when" in Farsi,when its "vaghti")
    > time is gold : vaght talast

This can mean 'When' and 'Time' ? For example: 'Vaghti nisti' - When you're not here' / 'Inhame vaght - 'All this time'
    You're right, but let me illustrate it for you.
    "At what time', "what time" or "when" have the same meaning in Persian, if they come at the beginning of the sentence => "Che Vaght(i)?", "Che Zaman(i)" or in informal speaking "Key".

When "when" comes at the middle of a sentence or as a conjunction, then its meaning changes to "vaghti", "zamini", "lahzeyi",... .

Its usage however is similar to its usage in English.
    ***The translations have been done by Bijan Kardouni AKA veryclever1980***

7. veryclever1980 said:

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Uglyrainbow View Post
    What's the meaning of mikoonid?

How do we say 'what time is it now'?

How can I say ' I learn Parsi from my teacher'
    What's the meaning of mikoonid? It means "You (plural) do", it can also be used as a formal form referring to "You" in a singular form. (This regulation is so common in European languages, esp. in French)

What time is it now? -> Formal: "Sâat chand ast?"
    Informal: "Sâat chandeh?"

I learn Parsi from my teacher -> Formal: "Man Farsi râ az moallem (âmoozegâr) e khod miâmoozam."
    Informal: "Man Farsi ro az moallemam yâd migiram."

pinky_girl said:

Kama K , your Farsi sounds so good! Afarin!you just had some tiny mistakes
    my veryclever friend , thx for your explanation

Kama_K said:

Talking

Really? Merciiii Pinky jan shoma lotf dariii <3 (I hope that this is appropriate that I reply this way for your compliment) I am going to try harder to learn more

I remember the days when I was first introduced to Persian and I only knew things such as 'Salam' 'Chetori' 'Merci' 'Khoobi' in which I used to pronounce as 'Hoobi' hehe

Your language really interests me, the sayings,quotes,expressions everything!

I know a lady who used to work for some of the Persian royalty, she lived in Iran and used to teach a Royal son English and she is very fluent in speaking and writing Persian, she has a Persian husband and they're children speak Persian fluently also. Gosh I would just be so happy to be able to form my own sentances let alone reading and writing Persian! that would just be amazing

Thanks for all the threads, all of the translations on lyrics etc really help me have a better understanding

Kama_K said:

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by veryclever1980 View Post
    Hi my friend, let me explain them to you one by one.

About "Paye" (better to write it in this way "pâyeh"):

Those two concepts are definitely right. In informal speaking, we use pâyeh for having desire for doing some thing for example:

Pâyeh raftan be cinema hasti? Are you in the mood for going to the movies? or Do you like to go to the movies?

Pâyeh does not mean "Pâ + hâyeh", actually it means something like the leg or leg-like.

Considering "Pâ" -> "Pâ+yeh Man" = My leg
    -> "Pâ+hayeh Man" = My two legs or My two feet

No, you can't use "Haminjoori" in this situation. As you mentioned, "haminjoori" means "just like this" or "in this way".

You're right, but let me illustrate it for you.
    "At what time', "what time" or "when" have the same meaning in Persian, if they come at the beginning of the sentence => "Che Vaght(i)?", "Che Zaman(i)" or in informal speaking "Key".

When "when" comes at the middle of a sentence or as a conjunction, then its meaning changes to "vaghti", "zamini", "lahzeyi",... .

Its usage however is similar to its usage in English.
    Ahhh I see now. I understand this better now. Great! This is very useful to me. Thanks very much dear!

pinky_girl said:

Khahesh mikonam...haghighato goftam(i said the truth)
    negaran nabash...kheyli zood mitooni jomleh ham besazi va bekhooni va benevisi. you are talented azizam AND YOU CAN DO IT!

Kama_K said:

Smile

Khahesh mikonam...haghighato goftam(i said the truth)
    negaran nabash...kheyli zood mitooni jomleh ham besazi va bekhooni va benevisi. you are talented azizam AND YOU CAN DO IT!
    Thanks so much Pinky azizam <3 your kind words,encouragement and help have made me confident that my Persian will improve quickly I am sure that we will all benefit here very much with yourself and Veryclever1980 as our great teachers I'm so glad that I ever came across this forum ^_^

(Going to copy the Persian sentances in which you replied to me into my notepad, I have about 3 or 4 notepads on my laptop that I have which I keep Persian sentances,words,lyrics in etc~Thanks my dear)

pinky_girl said:

Ghabeli nadasht!.....maloome ke Farsit pishraft mikone(your Farsi will improve for sure)...shaki nist(there's no doubt about it)
    Khastan, tavanestan ast!(when there is a will there is a way!)

pas az in be bad man Farsi javab midam va shoma ham agar jomleyi ro nafahmidid az man beporsid!
    (From now on, i answer in farsi and if you didn't get a sentence , ask me!)
    Bashe?(ok?)

Kama_K said:

Smile

Ghabeli nadasht!.....maloome ke Farsit pishraft mikone(your Farsi will improve for sure)...shaki nist(there's no doubt about it)
    Khastan, tavanestan ast!(when there is a will there is a way!)

pas az in be bad man Farsi javab midam va shoma ham agar jomleyi ro nafahmidid az man beporsid!
    (From now on, i answer in farsi and if you didn't get a sentence , ask me!)
    Bashe?(ok?)

Thankyou very much azizam I'll definatly try my best best from now ^_^ this has made me even more motivated =D

Ohh yes that would be great! Thankyou my dear, although I apologise that I wont be able to reply back in Persian but hopefully we'll see the day when I will be able to

pinky_girl said:

niyazi be ozr khahi nist!(no need to apologize)...you're such a hard working student ...va hamin kafiye!(and that's enough)

Kama_K said:

Smile

niyazi be ozr khahi nist!(no need to apologize)...you're such a hard working student ...va hamin kafiye!(and that's enough)
    :* Many thanks azizam <3

I'm going to have a quick read up on the 'Easy persian website' as I never did get too far through the pages and see if there are things there which which we could all discuss here =D

*~much Love&Respect~*

17. veryclever1980 said:

Red face

I should thank you dearest Pinky,
    your beautiful soul shines through the ATL, and encourages everyone to learn our mother tongue.

pinky_girl said:

it's my pleasure...it's the leat thing that i can do

19. herrthorr said:

When I want to know the meaning of a persian text I use the google translator (it´s more fast and practical than asking someone). The translator also transform farsi words written in latin letters into persian script:
    http://translate.google.com

This is a good dictionary to find out the definition of a persian word:
    http://dsal.uchicago.edu/dictionaries/hayyim/

This is a good website to check the correct pronunciation of a persian word (they have audio recordings):
    http://www.forvo.com/

20. veryclever1980 said:

Quote Originally Posted by herrthorr View Post
    When I want to know the meaning of a persian text I use the google translator (it´s more fast and practical than asking someone). The translator also transform farsi words written in latin letters into persian script:
    http://translate.google.com

This is a good dictionary to find out the definition of a persian word:
    http://dsal.uchicago.edu/dictionaries/hayyim/

This is a good website to check the correct pronunciation of a persian word (they have audio recordings):
    http://www.forvo.com/
    Hi my friend, thank you for the websites. I should add something here, usually online or better to say mechanical translators are only good for words. They can not translate the sentences or text in a correct way. Specifically, Google translator would translate your text in a very strange way, almost incorrect.

But the other two websites are very useful and practical. Thank you so much.