Bass players, unite! But seriously if you play bass please help

Thread: Bass players, unite! But seriously if you play bass please help

Tags: None
  1. pizzaisgoodfordinner said:

Thumbs up Bass players, unite! But seriously if you play bass please help

Alright ive been playin bass for about a year n a half r so and if u play bass u know that a lot of songs are just a bunch of rythm and u stick to the same frets for a looooooooong time. but thats not saying all songs are like that song like NIB by black sabbath and some red hot chili pepers songs and probably many more u are all over the fret board n its really fun ta play. what is more songs that are fun to play and have more than just rythm in it, and if ya want u can write about what kinda bass u have and equpitment????? thanks everyone.

2. si1entbob said:

try victer wooten

watch this video!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=P...ch=bass%20solo

vranac said:

Well, the RHCP have one of the best funky-*** bass players in the world, the so-mighty-that-you-cant-believe-it Michael ˝Flea˝ Balzary. He's the man. But the question is, do you like funky stuff. If you do, listen their first 4 or 5 albums. If you dont, stick to the Californication, By the way nad Stadium Arcadium albums!

Anywayz I have a Yamaha BB404 orange-colored-4-string bass and Yamaha F20B amp, everything bought for only 800$. Im playing bass for a year and something, and i can say i can play Flea pretty good (except some really funky songs with sick slap parts). So my advice is :Stick to the RHCP, Victor Wooten and other slap bass players because they are playing bass with heart and as a solo instrument. Listening to them, you'll learn how to play. trust me. I know.

4. D-Fens said:

Playing one note on a bass over and over is as boring for the guitarist playing a chord over and over.

As for songs, for good bass, look at some of "The Who", "RHCP", "Primus"

5. pezza said:

vranac said:

Quote Originally Posted by pezza
    yeah right. the only thing he's got is a speed, and it doesnt mean a thing unless youre a metal fan. otherwise, try victor wooten or flea @ YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

7. giutarman said:

Quote Originally Posted by pizzaisgoodfordinner View Post
    Alright ive been playin bass for about a year n a half r so and if u play bass u know that a lot of songs are just a bunch of rythm and u stick to the same frets for a looooooooong time. but thats not saying all songs are like that song like NIB by black sabbath and some red hot chili pepers songs and probably many more u are all over the fret board n its really fun ta play. what is more songs that are fun to play and have more than just rythm in it, and if ya want u can write about what kinda bass u have and equpitment????? thanks everyone.

o god man
    you gotta learn higher ground

8. Ament said:

Quote Originally Posted by vranac View Post
    yeah right. the only thing he's got is a speed, and it doesnt mean a thing unless youre a metal fan. otherwise, try victor wooten or flea @ YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
    pah jaco's a lot more then speed
    do some research and you'll see how complicated his grooves were

play some Zeppelin like hmm the Lemon Song? thats sweet

9. giutarman said:

Quote Originally Posted by Ament View Post
    pah jaco's a lot more then speed
    do some research and you'll see how complicated his grooves were

play some Zeppelin like hmm the Lemon Song? thats sweet

hmm i dont think hes that good
    that other guys right
    speed is what hes got
    dont get me wrong i cant play like that
    but ive seen flea play and he is incredible
    this guy is blues and wont be rocking like flea
    but i no in blues u arent supposed to be
    he just bores me

10. azimut said:

... ...

Hello guys !!! ...

May I also "contribute" a couple of things ... ?!? ...

I know they MOST PROBABLY sound "odd" to you ... however ... LOL ... here they are ...

I am suggesting "older generation" ones ...

Bands that have "bass players" as their ... "leaders" ... or simply, as the "voice" of the band ... ... ...

STING ... from "POLICE" ... and later on his solo carreer ...

and ... LEVEL 42 ... ... ...

Then, may I also add ... SUPERTRAMP ... ... ...

and ... I think "soundtracks" of movies are also good to have a listen to ...

... currently addicted to "BOURNE SUPREMACY" (the original, have not yet got hold of the sequel's soundtrack) ... ... ...

Well, ... that's about it for now, I guess ... ... ...

All the best to you,

Azim

To be is to do - Plato
    To do is to be - Socrates
    Do be do be do - Frank Sinatra

11. RadNinjaToaster said:

Default Ska?

If you can dig it, go out and find some tabs or something for some good ska music. Ska bassists generally come up with some pretty crazy stuff though.

Disa said:

Flea got the talent.. Amazing, i just love to play some of their stuff, though mostly i just jam.

I got red Ibanez with 4-stings and Warwick take12 80w amp.
    "Look at your mind the way a pedifile looks at a child "
    - Serj Tankian

Ultimate_Worrier said:

Quote Originally Posted by giutarman View Post
    o god man
    you gotta learn higher ground
    That's by Stevie Wonder
    * Difference of opinion is not argument, only difference.
    * Just because you don't like something, doesn't make it sh*t
    * You are all individual, just like everyone else.

14. freebird_101 said:

yeah I like flea when he was in Fear. Hardcore Punk to the bone before he opened up his talent with the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

15. General James Longstreet said:

im still learnin the bass, but my timin sucks and expecially in bluegrass u are the timing, help! any methods to help me?! the fiddler is a perefectionists and often gets mad, course i have been teachin my self bass..so...any ideas so so dont mean to crash on ur post

16. fender4string said:

Learn some Chili Peppers stuff. The great thing about Flea is that his lines are sick and many are accessible to the average bassist.

I would also recommend learning stuff by Coheed and Cambria. Mic Todd is a fantastic bassist who's lines are usually pretty busy. His lines are basically fantastic combinations of rhythm and great melody. Mic is definitely one of my favorite bassists and one who I think is underrated.