The Riddle Game in English

Thread: The Riddle Game in English

Tags: None

Sanmayce said:

Quote Originally Posted by haydee View Post
    What object has keys but no locks, space but no room, you can enter but you can't go in?
    @Mixalopoulos:
    A (not THE) right answer (but not the only ha-ha), I couldn't figure it out, my mind is too much away from "easy" riddles.
    My answer is Dao, he-he-he...

Back to my riddle:
    Come on humans don't be afraid to get embarrassed a little, that's the (practical) way of learning through to the core.

@haydee:
    Thank you for trying out, I won't provide the answer until minimum 3 humans(Mixalopoulos got it?) i.e. 2 more give their shyness up and give a try.

Remember I am nasty at them.

2. can1 said:

meat !!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. can1 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Cheerblondie231 View Post
    ha okay here is one its sooo dumb but it made me giggle when i heard it.

You walk into a butcher shop and notice a 250 pound man, with a thick beard, checkerd pants, a dirty white tee, a baseball cap, and heavy workmans boots.
    What does he weigh?
    meat !!!!!!!

Sanmayce said:

Okay I feel that this riddle is way too hard-to-answer, so I broke my word (for not giving any further clues) and will give the biggest hint possible.

First, a little intro:

Archimedes's Principle

An object is subject to an upward force when it is immersed in liquid.
    The force is equal to the weight of the liquid displaced.
    The apparent weight of a block of aluminium (1) immersed in water is reduced by an amount equal to the weight of water displaced.
    If a block of wood (2) is completely immersed in water, the upward force is greater than the weight of the wood.
    (Wood is less dense than water, so the weight of the block of wood is less than that of the same volume of water.)
    So the block rises and partly emerges to displace less water until the upward force exactly equals the weight of the block.

Source: Encarta Encyclopedia 2006 Microsoft Corporation.

Some bug-fixes for Microsoft staff/team:
    Please correct your explanation of Archimedes's Principle by adding the full definition of this law, otherwise the people won't be able to answer riddles (at least).

Second, some 'mass' & 'weight' definitions:

mass (măs)
    n.
    6. Abbr. m Physics A property of matter equal to the measure of an object's resistance to changes in either the speed or direction of its motion. The mass of an object is not dependent on gravity and therefore is different from but proportional to its weight.

weight (wāt)
    n. Abbr. wt. or w
    1. A measure of the heaviness of an object.
    2. The force with which a body is attracted to Earth or another celestial body, equal to the product of the object's mass and the acceleration of gravity.

Source: The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition.

All-in-all the core/moral of the riddle is to learn that there is a difference between 'mass' & 'weight', or better yet, to take heed of real/core things.
    The wide-spread ignorance of this basic law is frighteningly rampant, but this is not so bad as long as people keep the childish uncertainty/inquisitiveness alive.
    I fall in dismay each time when a "learned" fool (who has killed the child within) starts JUDGING and EXPLAINING.
    That is why I thanked you haydee (because of questioning not answering).

Here one of my intentions (along with emphasizing the importance of sensitiveness to the world/words) was to pay tribute to one very sensitive to the Nature book-writer Перельман, Яков Исидорович (a prominent Russian physicist and teacher).
    In matter of fact this very riddle is taken from his 100 years old book: 'Fun physics' (the translation is mine derived from 'fun boy' or 'boy for fun' analogy), in Russian: 'Занимательная Физика'.
    Source: http://lib.aldebaran.ru/author/perel...niga_1__6.html
    For those who cannot read Russian I am ready to translate the riddle.
    In my opinion the level of UNDERSTANDING (not mere learning/teaching in Russia) the laws of physics was/is so high simply because of sensitive people like Перельман (who not only know the matter but also feel it) and their LEGACY.

And finally after realizing that their weights are not the same, put up: cotton or steel.
    Get down get down get down get it on show love and give it up
    What are you waiting on?

Sanmayce said:

Again Wikipedia, excels in giving the right definitions:

Archimedes' treatise, On floating bodies, proposition 5 states:

Any floating object displaces its own weight of fluid.

—Archimedes of Syracuse[2]

For more general objects, floating and sunken, and in gases as well as liquids (i.e. a fluid), Archimedes' principle may be stated thus in terms of forces:

Any object, wholly or partially immersed in a fluid, is buoyed up by a force equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object.

— Archimedes of Syracuse

with the clarifications that for a sunken object the volume of displaced fluid is the volume of the object, and for a floating object on a liquid, the weight of the displaced liquid is the weight of the object.

More tersely: buoyancy = weight of displaced fluid.

Obviously many guys do not discern between 'liquid' and 'fluid' - that very indifference is the cause for further fatal errancies.
    Last edited by Sanmayce; 07-20-2011 at 01:07 PM.
    Get down get down get down get it on show love and give it up
    What are you waiting on?