Kurban- Zor Güzel

Thread: Kurban- Zor Güzel

Tags: None

partizanka said:

Default Kurban- Zor Güzel

Can someone please help me with this song? Its meaning is quite confusing to me. Thank you in advance.

Güzel olan dik dolaşır
    Güzele her şey yaraşır
    Hangisine elim atsam
    Gönlüme sevda bulaşır
    Gece olup gün batınca
    Dilimde ismi dolaşır

Aldanma o sonsuz aşkına
    Çarpınca dönersin şaşkına

Güzel olmanın gereği
    Bir kez verir, on kez alır
    Kesmez ise bin kez alır
    Bir güzele gönül veren
    Falcılarla iyi anlaşır
    Zor güzele aşık olan
    Elinde mendil dolaşır

partizanka said:

Thank you Milena...and I guess I'm not going to hestitate.

Hangisine elim atsam // My heart involves in love
    Gönlüme sevda bulaşır // whichever I look into

Would this literally be something like "whichever i lay my hand, my heart gets involved in love"? Is this like he falls in love with every beautiful person? Could sevda bulaşır also have a meaning of like lovesick? Like infected by love?

Dilimde ismi dolaşır // I keep on saying her name
    Again, is this literally "her name wanders/stays on my tongue" I like that image for some reason. Not his tongue necessarily but just the idea.

Bir güzele gönül veren // The one who falls in love with a beauty
    Falcılarla iyi anlaşır // gets along well with fortune tellers
    Zor güzele aşık olan // The one who falls in love with tough beauty
    Elinde mendil dolaşır // wanders around with a handkerchief in his hand

The first two lines seems like he agrees with fortune tellers; they get along because to fall in love with a beauty is a good thing so he is happy and future looks good? And the second part "elinde mendil" for the poor guy who falls for the hard beauty, is this kind of humourous in Turkish as well?

Thank you again and in advance.
    Last edited by partizanka; 10-15-2010 at 11:12 PM.

3. ercmnt said:

Quote Originally Posted by partizanka View Post

Hangisine elim atsam // My heart involves in love
    Gönlüme sevda bulaşır // whichever I look into

Would this literally be something like "whichever i lay my hand, my heart gets involved in love"? Is this like he falls in love with every beautiful person? Could sevda bulaşır also have a meaning of like lovesick? Like infected by love?
    <==exactly

Dilimde ismi dolaşır // I keep on saying her name
    Again, is this literally "her name wanders/stays on my tongue" I like that image for some reason. Not his tongue necessarily but just the idea.
    literally yes and "I keep on saying her name" is a perfect translation for it

Bir güzele gönül veren // The one who falls in love with a beauty
    Falcılarla iyi anlaşır // gets along well with fortune tellers
    Zor güzele aşık olan // The one who falls in love with tough beauty
    Elinde mendil dolaşır // wanders around with a handkerchief in his hand

The first two lines seems like he agrees with fortune tellers; they get along because to fall in love with a beauty is a good thing so he is happy and future looks good? And the second part "elinde mendil" for the poor guy who falls for the hard beauty, is this kind of humourous in Turkish as well?
    "s/he gets along well with fortune tellers" because it is assumed that s/he will be always thinking of her "what is s/he doing, thinking, is she in love with me or so... and the fortune tellers are known to be telling us "what we want to hear" so s/he will be eager to look for fortune tellers everywhere everytime whenever it is possible, so we use "get along well" also for the things, people, places that we always have work with or spend time for and we know how to deal with them.

"Elinde mendil dolaşır" here you can think like s/he is crying all the time because of sadness, and s/he should always be ready,prepared to cry

i think you are much more better then you think in Turkish language partizanka.

partizanka said:

Quote Originally Posted by ercmnt View Post
    "s/he gets along well with fortune tellers" because it is assumed that s/he will be always thinking of her "what is s/he doing, thinking, is she in love with me or so... and the fortune tellers are known to be telling us "what we want to hear" so s/he will be eager to look for fortune tellers everywhere everytime whenever it is possible, so we use "get along well" also for the things, people, places that we always have work with or spend time for and we know how to deal with them.
    Ah, thank you for this explanation. I didn't think of it exactly this way before. (ie. that fortune tellers tell people what they want to hear)

Quote Originally Posted by ercmnt View Post
    i think you are much more better then you think in Turkish language partizanka.
    Thank you but I was still using a dictionary to help me here. And even if my comprehension is improving, if you ask me to make a full, original sentence, it would be a mess. But I will keep trying. I can't learn without mistakes right?
    I hope that when I ask for literal translations, there is no misunderstanding. I do not mean to "disagree" or doubt with Milena's (or anyone's) translation at all. I prefer how she translated this; it's better when it's not literal. But just to help me understand Turkish sayings more, I asked for literal translations for some things. I quite like how you emphasis "literally, yes it means this but..." I think that is an important thing to remember.