Page 1 of 69 123451151 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,723 Times in 1,309 Posts

Talking Songs You're Obsessed With

Ok, you don't have to be obsessed. What's your favourite Turkish song at the moment? The one you keep listening (or singing :P) over and over...

Mine is:

Sagopa Kajmer & Kolera - Bir Dizi İz

Thanks

Cool thread Milena, the song you posted seems really cool , but have no time to listen to it now, will do that later

Here's one I can't stop listening to, been listening to it for months
    The hours of pain have yielded good,
    Which prosperous days refused;
    As herbs, though scentless when entire,
    Spread fragrance when they’re bruised.

Tyrannosaurus Regina partizanka's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok, I know it's wrong to post a non-Turkish song but this is the song I'm completely obsessed with at the moment. It's veeeery old. Older than any of us by at least a few years. Obviously song is too old to have a music video...just close your eyes and imagine Emre Aydın or someone if that helps. I loved it as a teenager and I just found it again in my cd collection. Maybe it's just me but it has such amazing guitar; I can't stop listening to it. It's from old Yugo band, actually called YuGrupa and song is called Sama (Alone). (There are lyrics but they don't begin for a while)

And, fine, here's a Turkish one I've been very into for a long time now. Maybe you've never heard (sorry, I don't really like the video- I just saw it for the first time...I never watch music videos or go on Youtube; but I think Öztürk is kinda hot . Again, I'm very much a guitar person and that's what I love in this song too. By the way, Hayko Cepkin produced this song.

Thanks

Thanks sohuda.

partizanka do you like arabesk? (Some covers can be really nice.) I also like "Kaç Gel" by Öztürk. And it has an interesting video, maybe you can watch for the sake of Öztürk. (It was very high budget at that time.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkt_I7hLdUI

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Milena View Post
    Thanks sohuda.

partizanka do you like arabesk? (Some covers can be really nice.) I also like "Kaç Gel" by Öztürk. And it has an interesting video, maybe you can watch for the sake of Öztürk. (It was very high budget at that time.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkt_I7hLdUI

Haha, it seems that way doesn't it? I never actually heard the original arabesk version of this song, but there are quite a few covers of arabesk songs that I like, and this is one of them. Kaç Gel is another one of my favourite songs from Öztürk (the rest of his first cd is not so good though), so thanks for the link. I hadn't seen that video. Have you heard any of these 'arabesk' covers: Direc-T- Sıra sıra selviler; Gripin- Dalgalandım da duruldum and Batsın bu dunya; and I also really love Duman's Olmadı yar version. Maybe that is my favourite Duman song. Is Öztürk at all popular in Turkey do you know?

Thanks

I know Dalgalandım Da Duruldum by Gripin and Olmadı Yar by Duman. (Actually Olmadı Yar is a pop song - sung by Asya - Müslüm Gürses sang the arabesk version. ) I also like "Ben De Özledim" by Ogün Sanlısoy. I just can't stand arabesk...

I've never heard about Öztürk after his first album (that was in 1997) but now I read that he has released his 3rd album in 2007. He is not popular now.

Thanks

I also like "Ben De Özledim" by Ogün Sanlısoy. .
    So do I, and that's another one I never heard the original. I liked the video for Kaç Gel much better than Yalnızım's video. Does it make sense with the song? I've never really understood Kaç Gel's lyrics (koynuma alırım? )

I don't like Öztürk's first album much, his newest one (2007) is pretty good, but his best (in my opinion) was his second album, Vasiyet. I remember the first time I heard one of the songs "SÖYLEYEMEM", I thought..."that's weird, it sounds a lot like Kurban's Uyut Beni." Then I found out that Deniz Yılmaz basically co-wrote/produced all of the Vasiyet album's songs and that Kurban's members do some of the music and vocals on that album. And Hayko Cepkin produced some of the album too. So Öztürk has cool friends at least, even if he's not popular.
    Last edited by partizanka; 10-22-2010 at 09:12 PM.

Thanks

I think the video doesn't make sense with the song but it's very original and too good for that time. (Most of videos were simple.) Koynuna almak = to take (someone) to bed with one. (or in bosom, arms)

Nice team. But unfortunately I didn't know anything about Deniz Yılmaz or Hayko Cepkin back then.

Thanks

I have too many songs that I'm sort of obsessed with. How about a list of songs you're obsessed with? (Or at least a little obsessed with?)
    My current songs:
    Şebnem Ferah:İnsanlık This song is so beautiful. Everything about it breaks my heart.
    Zakkum- Ağlat Beni I love this band a lot. This song has great piano.
    Metropolis- İstemesen De Such a cool song. Highly recommended.
    Lityum- Yalan Olsa Da Another nice band that I recently found. This song is so good.
    Umut Kaya- Senin I love all his songs too Milena but this is my current favourite. (By the way, thanks Sohuda for requesting translation of Detone's Yegane. And thank you again Milena for the translation)
    Gren- Sen I haven't heard any other songs from them yet but this song is so pretty. Have any of you heard it?
    Kurban- Sakın Söyleme I'm always obsessed with Kurban of course , but this one I can't stop replaying lately.
    Fuat Ergin- Kendini Avut Fuat is just too cool. I love his rap style.

I have too many more! I should stop now!!!
    Last edited by partizanka; 10-23-2010 at 09:45 AM.

Thanks

Very nice topic Milena,

I have so many obsessions, when it comes to Turkish music.
    But my recent obsessions would be:

Gülben Ergen - Üzgünüm

HAZAL - KORKULAR

***The translations have been done by Bijan Kardouni AKA veryclever1980***

Thanks

Welcome veryclever. I think you're obsessed with 90s.

partizanka I heard of Gren when I translated a song called "Uyumsuz" recently. (Interesting lyrics again. Sounds nice) Sometimes it's really hard to follow new music.

It is a pleasure to translate Detone's song as I like Umut Kaya. His lyrics are not deep but somehow amusing. I also liked the song.

I'm in another obsession session. I have to say when I heard this song first time some years ago I didn't like it that much, but it has grown on me...I especially love the lyrics.

Şebnem Ferah - Mayın Tarlası

Thanks

I had never heard this song from Şebnem before...it's nice. I downloaded her whole discography but so far I've only gone through 3 albums: Kadın, Perdeler(least favourite of these 3 at least), and Benim Adım Orman. So I still have more to discover from her.
    It is hard to keep up with new music...I am really only this open to Turkish music, since it's a more recent interest of mine. With Yugo and English music, I don't really try many new musicians. I feel like I already found what I like and I don't need more.
    In case you're interested/have time, here's Gren's Sen. (Again, I've never seen this video either.) Let me know what you think:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by partizanka View Post
    I had never heard this song from Şebnem before...it's nice. I downloaded her whole discography but so far I've only gone through 3 albums: Kadın, Perdeler(least favourite of these 3 at least), and Benim Adım Orman. So I still have more to discover from her.
    It is hard to keep up with new music...I am really only this open to Turkish music, since it's a more recent interest of mine. With Yugo and English music, I don't really try many new musicians. I feel like I already found what I like and I don't need more.
    In case you're interested/have time, here's Gren's Sen. (Again, I've never seen this video either.) Let me know what you think:
    About Şebnem, you should listen to this song too. It's a song from her 2005 Album "Can Kırıkları", named "çakıl taşları".

I've listened to Gren, and it was amazing. I generally love the songs with the word "damla"(tears) in them.

As you two like Rock music, I introduce one of my obsessions in that genre. I love Kıraç, because of his view of life. Especially in this song, "Zaman", you can feel sorrows of life along with hopes for the future. Nice Song:

Kıraç -
    Zaman

Thanks

My favourite Şebnem Ferah albums are Can Kırıkları, Artık Kısa Cümleler Kuruyorum and Kadın. As for Çakıl Taşları (partizanka you MUST listen to this song. Back vocals by Kerem Özyeğen) I think orchestral version of it is also amazing.

I listened to Sen by Gren. It's really nice. You have good taste. To be honest I love Turkish rock more & more now and you might be the reason.

And Kıraç...I find him very antipathetic. :/ He composed some nice musics for serials but I think his genre (Anatolian rock) was much better with oldies like Barış Manço, Cem Karaca etc. I think the best example for that kind of music is Kurban nowadays. No offense veryclever.

Thanks

Göksel - Ağlamak Güzeldir

Aslı Güngör & Ferhat Göçer - Kalp kalbe karşı derler

Rafet El Roman - Seni Seviyorum

Rafet El Roman - Leyla

Mustafa Sandal - Kavrulduk

Tarkan - Sevdanın Son Vuruşu

Thanks

VeryClever- Thank you for posting Çakıl Taşları. It's another song I had not heard before and I really liked it too. Cool music and she sounds great, as usual. Kerem in the background just makes it that much nicer. (I like Kerem. He and Şebnem sing background on another song I really love, Bir Ben by Ogün Sanlısoy. If you haven't heard it, I recommend it. It's quite pretty and has good lyrics.) I listened again to Mayın Tarlası and I really like that song as well, so now I'm burning more of Şebnem's albums onto cds.
    Someone told me that recently Şebnem has changed and started to act like a diva. I don't know anything about that; do you think that is true at all?

Like Milena, I am not much of a Kıraç fan either but I haven't listened to him very much or paid attention to his lyrics. What is it about his life view that you like?

Milena, how would you describe Anatolian rock? Cem Karaca seems like a classic example, but for newer bands, I'm not sure I understand. I would think first of 84, mainly because they often use traditional instruments and melodies in their songs, but if you say Kurban, then I am not sure I have the right idea of what modern Anatolian rock is. How is different than just rock in Turkish language?

I listened to Sen by Gren. It's really nice. You have good taste. To be honest I love Turkish rock more & more now and you might be the reason.
    I'm very flattered (yalan olsa da (hmm at least I think that means 'even if it's a lie')) As you know, the feeling is shared here. You've recommended really great music to me and I thank you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by partizanka View Post

Milena, how would you describe Anatolian rock? Cem Karaca seems like a classic example, but for newer bands, I'm not sure I understand. I would think first of 84, mainly because they often use traditional instruments and melodies in their songs, but if you say Kurban, then I am not sure I have the right idea of what modern Anatolian rock is. How is different than just rock in Turkish language?
    I don’t know how correct it is to label their music as “Anatolian rock” but I sometimes think that their music has some elements and inspirations from that genre. (I’m not talking about new singers like Kıraç, Haluk Levent etc. Mostly oldies like Cem Karaca, Barış Manço etc.) Maybe it’s just me but I think some of their lyrics (like poetry; deep and social messages ) and sometimes Deniz’s vocals and some melodies like in Sorma, Kurban etc. remind me of it. As you know I’ve just started listening to them and I don’t know all of their songs but songs are on Sahip album are a bit different than their old songs I think. I don't know if that made sense but this is just my personal impression.

If you wanna read about it:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatolian_rock

Thanks

Oh, thank you Milena for mentioning Cem Karaca & Barış Manço (RIP). I think they're beyond just artists and are legends. I can't compare Kıraç with them.

Partizanka, what i like about Kıraç is his voice, it's really haunting me. About his lyrics, most of them are filled with melancholy, sorrow and pain, but the point is that you can sense a ray of hope even in his most depressed songs. I think that's a unique characteristic, you can't find in the most artists of rock, cuz rock music, always deliver you sorrows and pains without hope.

As Milena mentioned, most of his masterpieces are among "Dizi ve Film Müzikleri", and I recommend this song for both of you. It's a short but meaningful song for "Aliye" dizi:

Partizanka, thank you so much for recommending "Bir Ben". It reminds me of "Southern Rock" in America, nice lyrics, catchy melody, good contribution. I's gonna be my favorite.

Thanks

Thanks for the link. I read it but honestly your description made it clearer to me than Wikipedia's. Wiki's sounded like every Turkish rock musician is "Anatolian Rock" style, i.e. that being from the region is what makes it Anatolian. That makes sense, but your idea is more specific. In that sense (your description), I can see how certain songs from Kurban definitely fit. Particularly considering that their Sert album featured covers from Mr. Karaca and Manço.
    Since you are also maybe into Cem Karaca, Veryclever, have either of you heard his song Hayvan Terli? It's so weird that it's kind of great.

Veryclever- I'm glad you liked Bir Ben. I don't know much about Southern Rock in U.S. (All I think of is Black Crows and Train) but seems like a good comparison. (by the way, what is the reasoning for your nickname? Very smart, are you? Is 1980 your birthyear?)

Unfortunately my computer is not being nice to me today, but I am more than willing to see if I can find what you like so much about Kıraç, so I will let you know after I listen to his song, Oysa. Right now, the sound is skipping and freezing.
    At the very least, I can appreciate your description of why you like his lyrics. Yours is a good reason.

Thanks

Partizanka, I've sent you a link, check your mail box

Black Crows is a very good example of Southern Rock. Actually, it's very similar to Adult/Alternative pop/rock (US Version), even this song is very similar to Goo Goo Dolls' songs.

Oh, my nickname, it's a long story. In my adolescence, I was very fond of myself,and I thought that I was very smart. Life showed me that I was wrong and there are so many things left to learn. This nickname has a sheer irony to remind me that I'm not what I think. About 1980, it's because of my love for 80's western music. For Turkish music it would be 90lar

I want to introduce one of my obsession in Turkish Modern Rock. I love the lyrics, video, arrangement and everything:

Malt - Deprem

Page 1 of 69 123451151 ... LastLast