Miscellaneous (not lyrics) Arabic <-> English Translations

Thread: Miscellaneous (not lyrics) Arabic <-> English Translations

Tags: None

ana1228 said:

Hi everyone! I am in need to learn egyptian arabic can someone please help me
    Those who mind, don't matter. Those who matter, don't mind!

Orwa said:

Quote Originally Posted by ana1228 View Post
    Hi everyone! I am in need to learn egyptian arabic can someone please help me
    Hello, this thread is for asking for some sentences translations, you can go to the following thread and ask for the help

http://www.allthelyrics.com/forum/ar...th-maviii.html

Have a nice day!
    " Those that don't appreciate life..do not deserve life...how much blood are you willing to give to stay alive....live or die...make your choice... " ( Jigsaw)

ana1228 said:

I also need help with grammar! I am hoping to take arabic this semster coming up but I would like to have a better grasp! as of now I can read a little and understand!

please help me!

shukran gedan!!!!

ana1228 said:

whats the difference?

Orwa said:

Amiga, we'd be so glad to help you, but this thread for asking for translations, go to the following link and there you may ask for help in "learning" arabic

http://www.allthelyrics.com/forum/ar...th-maviii.html

And anytime you want a help we will try our best, do not worry
    " Those that don't appreciate life..do not deserve life...how much blood are you willing to give to stay alive....live or die...make your choice... " ( Jigsaw)

ana1228 said:

lol ana 3arfa habibi! kalemk 3arbiya shwaya... bas lmogarad el tawdee7 min kalmek masariya... i need to learn by sentences or else ill go crazy?... so do you speak egyptian dialect?

Daydream said:

Quote Originally Posted by ana1228 View Post
    I also need help with grammar! I am hoping to take arabic this semster coming up but I would like to have a better grasp! as of now I can read a little and understand!

please help me!

shukran gedan!!!!
    If you're gonna take a course.. You may want to learn Fos7a because they won't teach you Egyptian grammar in an Arabic language course and there are many differences when speaking dialect and speaking the "proper" Arabic that is taught in the classrooms

but whatever you need you just post and let us know.. you can put a list of words or phrases and you'll find lots of people available to put them in Egyptian for you.. if you go through some of the threads you may find alot of answers to your questions
    Ya reitni 2amle b sha3rak, kel lama ashta2lak atsa7sel w ashoufak ♥

Orwa said:

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream View Post
    If you're gonna take a course.. You may want to learn Fos7a because they won't teach you Egyptian grammar in an Arabic language course and there are many differences when speaking dialect and speaking the "proper" Arabic that is taught in the classrooms

but whatever you need you just post and let us know.. you can put a list of words or phrases and you'll find lots of people available to put them in Egyptian for you.. if you go through some of the threads you may find alot of answers to your questions
    I SECOND THIS

ana1228 said:

Yeah I know but i was looking at the course outline and they said it is going to be more egyptian dialect because it is understood by most arabs because its influence in music and movies... and fus7a is way to difficult, and egyptian arabic i already have a grasp of it... but thank you very much

Daydream said:

That's great and yes it is true.. Egyptian is widely known among Arabs due to the entertainment industry

Anyhow whatever you need.. you just ask

Orwa said:

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream View Post
    That's great and yes it is true.. Egyptian is widely known among Arabs due to the entertainment industry

Anyhow whatever you need.. you just ask
    I SECOND THIS

LHL said:

Orwa – كان خطأي - If you want you can say ‘kan’ or ‘kana’? aint no diff..right?

And for ‘It was her fault’ – you said كان خطأها but why not كانت خطأها ?
    And for ‘It was not her fault’- you said لم يكن خطأها but why not لم تكن خطأها ?

Cheeze-

Orwa said:

Wink Here you go:

Quote Originally Posted by LHL View Post
    Orwa – كان خطأي - If you want you can say ‘kan’ or ‘kana’? aint no diff..right?

And for ‘It was her fault’ – you said كان خطأها but why not كانت خطأها ?
    And for ‘It was not her fault’- you said لم يكن خطأها but why not لم تكن خطأها ?

Cheeze-
    Well sir, Kana is using in Fos7a, it's 100% correct to say, kana 5ata2y, BUT, kan is 3amia, we use it in our talking, but not in Fos7a

Ahhhh, i am not a teacher to explain this, but okay, here what i would say:

كانت is referring to feminine words, and كان is referring to masculine words, that's a theory, and here's some examples:

كان خطأي
    faults and mistakes are "masculine" words, so it is كان

كان صديقي
    صديقي is "him" so it is كان

كانت صديقتي
    صديقتي is "her", so it is كانت

كانت الشجرة
    الشجرة is "feminine" word, so it is كانت

كان الكتاب
    الكتاب is masculine word, so it is كان
    ==============================
    And well, let me explain to you how do you know the "feminine" words from the "masculine" words (From my view, as i mentioned i am not a teacher )

To form a feminine word from the masculine, you simply add “ta2 marbuta (ة) or ( ـة ) for examples:

مهندس (M engineer)
    مهندسة (F engineer)
    -
    صديق (M friend)
    صديقة (F friend)

-
    كبير (M big)
    كبيرة (F Big)
    -
    قصة (F) Story
    صحيفة (F) Newspaper
    شجرة (F) Tree
    بحيرة (F) Lake
    جزيرة (F) Island
    ساعة (F) Watch

------
    You see, most of them finish in ة

BUT, it's not a rule, most of "feminine" words ends with ة but not all of them, for example:
    سماء (F) Sky
    رياح (F) Winds

as i mentioned, MOST of them ends with ة , just a little words without and considered as "feminine" words...
    ----------------------------------------------
    then some examples to "masculine" words and i'll finish this "lesson (?)"

قلم (M) pen
    تلفزيون (M) TV
    باب (M) door
    كتاب (M) Book
    حذاء (M) Shoes
    كرسي (M) Chair

---------------------

I hope above helped you, and if anything not clear (Or i made mistakes) tell me so we can discuss with our friends

LHL said:

So the right way to say is كانت خطأها and not كان خطأها for 'it was her fault'...right?

And for ‘It was not her fault’- the correct way to say it is لم تكن خطأها and not لم يكن خطأها ...correct?

Orwa said:

No No No, i have mentioned, you will think about the word, خطأ it is masculine word, so it is just

for female كان خطأها
    for male كان خطأه

that it is, and for the negative....

لم يكن خطأها for female
    لك يكن خطأه for male

Orwa said:

Or wait, i thought of the word, give me some examples of that things you are referring it's her fault??
    then i'll give you the exact 100% answer
  17. lanw_av said:

LHL, it seems that u r confused with the pronouns

i sensed that u think because "It was her fault" is about a female u should use the feminine form in all of the sentence so u used both "كانت" and "خطأها" and the same with "It was not her fault", if u do this do not because u have to know exactly which things should be put into the feminine form, u cannot put a whole sentence in the feminine form just because it is about a female

the answer to ur question can be divided into 2 cases:
    1- the general sense and use: the general translation of "It was her fault" is "كان خطأها", this is a more generalized translation which usually does not require mentioning or hinting what her fault was, in this case u should make the verb "يكون" have the same gender of the noun "خطأ" (regardless of "ها" in the end) so it is "كان" because "خطأ" is masculine and so is "كان", but "كانت" is feminine
    2- the specified use: as Orwa said, "things you are referring it's her fault" should be known in order to give the exact translation, for example, if the girl in the sentence made an accident "حادثة" which is a feminine word u can translate the sentence as "كانت خطأها" with "كانت" which is feminine, but this kind of sentence should usually be preceded by mentioning the fault or talking about it

so, see in which case ur sentences lie and u will know what to use

here is another example with the word "غلطة" (pronounced "GHalta" and it is feminine) meaning the same as "خطأ":
    * general use: It was her fault = كانت غلطتها (here "كانت" is used because "غلطة" is feminine)
    * specified use: It was her fault = كان/كانت غلطتها (whether to use "كان" or "كانت" depends on what the fault is because when u know what the fault is u will be able to determine whether it is a masculine or feminine word and hence pick the right one ("كان" or "كانت"))
    Last edited by lanw_av; 06-22-2009 at 06:00 PM.

ana1228 said:

Can someone please translate the following in egyptian dialect :

Look over there
    Did you see that
    We only have one life to live
    Why are you mad?
    What time will we meet?
    That is disgusting
    Believe me when I tell you this
    dont worry about it
    I need help
    I can speak a little arabic?
    how may I help you?
    Can you help me
    I am looking for the movie __?
    DO you have chicken?
    grilled chicken
    fried chicken
    advanced

thank you =)

ana1228 said:

also this too sorry

What should we eat today?
    stop
    please
    thats annoying
    the people here are nice
    vacation
    everyone needs to pay
    I will be right back
    he/she went outside
    what happened?
    I live in ...
    where do you live?
    he/ she lives
    call me!
    its raining
    its very hot
    its cold
    outside
    inside

Daydream said:

Can someone please translate the following in egyptian dialect:

Look over there - bos hnek
    Did you see that - shoft eli 7asal
    We only have one life to live - el3omr bn3eeshha marra wa7da w bas
    Why are you mad? - leh met3aseb/metnarfez
    What time will we meet? - hanet2abal el sa3a kam?
    That is disgusting - dah mo2ref/ but a more common phrase to express disgust is "eih el 2araf dah!"
    Believe me when I tell you this - sade2ni lama 2a2olak keda
    dont worry about it - matshelshi ham
    I need help - me7taga mosa3da
    I can speak a little arabic? - b3ref atkalem shwayet 3arabi
    how may I help you? - ay khedma?
    Can you help me - momken tesa3edni
    I am looking for the movie __? - badawar 3ala film...?
    DO you have chicken? - 3andak frakh
    grilled chicken - frakh mashwy
    fried chicken - frakh ma2liye
    advanced - motaqadem
    What should we eat today? - nekol eih elnaharda
    stop - bas
    please - law sama7t/sama7ti
    thats annoying - dah gheles
    the people here are nice - el nas eli hena tayebeen
    vacation - agaza
    everyone needs to pay - el kol lazem yedfa3
    I will be right back - rag3a ba3d shway
    he/she went outside - tole3 bara, tal3et bara
    what happened? - fi eih?
    I live in ... - sakna fi..
    where do you live? - enta saken fein?, enti sakna fein
    he/ she lives - howa/heya 3ayesh/3aysha
    call me! - etesel feya (m) etesli feya (f)
    its raining - beteshti
    its very hot - 7ar awi
    its cold - sa23a
    outside - bara
    inside - gowa