Miscellaneous (not lyrics) Spanish <-> English Translations

Thread: Miscellaneous (not lyrics) Spanish <-> English Translations

Tags: None
  1. MaresLejanos said:

Selenity, yes, that translation is right . You can ignore the second "su": "Los diamantes son los más duros de todos, y nada puede romper su hermosa determinación y vitalidad". But it's right in any rate

Billien, yes, that word amante applies to lovers. I don't think it has a bad connotation. There are several meanings for amante:
    - "Tu amante" is the person you have a relation with, same as lover.
    - "la/el amante": in many cases talks about a third person in a relashionship, where one of the couple has an affair out of the relashionship, in this case the third person is called "amante" too.
    - Amante is used too to call someone who loves too much something: "Él es amante de la música clásica" -> "He" likes too much"/"loves" the classic music"... Not sure if you can say in English: "He's a lover of the classic music" though.
    But name your lover, isn't a bad think to call him "mi amanate",, at least you are married and he's the third one.
    Last edited by MaresLejanos; 09-12-2009 at 08:25 AM.

.:BiLLiE:. said:

Mares, thank you very much! You can say in English "He's a lover of classical music." I call my boyfriend "mi amante" and he thinks it's cute when I say it, so I just wanted to be sure that I was using it correctly!
    .:BiLLiEhDz:.

Zahra2008 said:

Quote Originally Posted by .:BiLLiE:. View Post
    Mares, thank you very much! You can say in English "He's a lover of classical music." I call my boyfriend "mi amante" and he thinks it's cute when I say it, so I just wanted to be sure that I was using it correctly!
    Darling... if you use "él es mi amante (he is my lover)" here in Mexico, or with a mexican ... the first thing to cross his/her mind it would be the third person in a relashionship... so for us it have a bad connotation ....
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!
  4. MaresLejanos said:

De nada Aromafrescom, Selenety y Billie

Zahra: is she calls him "mi amante" when there is no one else, in intimity, I don't think it has a bad connotation, like "Tú eres el amante más tierno".
    And I think the bad connotations has got to do a lot with the context, talking to another person, for example:
    - De todos mis amantes, él fue el más amable.
    I don't mean with this I had lots of third men!!!. We call sometimes here "amante", just to the person we have a relationship without being seriuos, not an oficial boyfriend/girlfriend, or husband/wife... Like an affair. And of course, it depends who you are talking to:
    - If you tell it to someone who nows you, and you aren't married and he/she knows it, if you say "Aquel hombre de allá es mi amante", the other person won't think in a third person.
    - But if you said "él es mi amante" to someone who doesn't know you or your life, he/she will think you are married and the man you're saying is the third person...

It's all relative about the context. If she calls him "mi amante" in intimity, I don't think it has a bad connotation....

That word "amante" is losing its real meaning with the time and becoming in something bad... But in its origins, it wasn't something bad, people are giving it a bad connotation.

Zahra2008 said:

@Mares: yes, sweetie you are right... but is not the same to the Mexican people... amante the 99.99% of the cases, is about the third person ..

and even in the intimity, it can be a bad connotation, Mexican men may think that you have had many "lovers"

AnnaFoster said:

Default Is the correct?

No llegues tarde o estarás disculpandose a Pancho toda la noche.

Don't be late or you'll be apologizing to Pancho all night.

Thanks!
  7. MaresLejanos said:

Oh well, I don't know what to say. She said he think it's cute, it doesn't seems he feels offended... Where is he from?
  8. MaresLejanos said:

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaFoster View Post
    No llegues tarde o estarás disculpandote con Pancho toda la noche.

Don't be late or you'll be apologizing to Pancho all night.

Thanks!
    It's "te", and I think it makes more sense with "con" instead of "a"

AnnaFoster said:

Default Un buen amante

Quote Originally Posted by MaresLejanos View Post
    So fast, thank you! I wasn't sure if it was "se" for pancho (apologizing 'to pancho') or "te" for the person doing the apologizing. haha. Confuses me alll the time!

I have an opinion regarding "amante". I think both Zahra and Mares present valid cases. It's much the same here in the U.S. It can be good or bad. It just depends on the character of the person who's saying they have a lover, how well they are known by the person they're saying it to, and how judgmental that person is.

If you were in a store with your best girlfriend and you said "I have a great lover" since she most likely knows what's going on in your life, she'll know that you're complimenting the person with whom you're having sex. But then if someone overheard you say that to her, whether they are Mexican or American, they will most likely "assume" that you have a 3rd person OR that simply that the "lover" is just a sexual affair even if you don't have a husband or boyfriend.

AnnaFoster said:

Also, is it llegues and not llegas?
  11. MaresLejanos said:

Hello AnnaFoster

It's llegues from "Modo subjuntivo", which indicate some possibility. But "llegas"· is from "Presente"... I'm not quite sure why, you can say:
    1) - No llegues tarde o estarás disulpándote con Pancho todo noche.
    o
    2) - Si llegas tarde tendrás que disculparte con Pancho toda la noche. (If you are late, you'll have to excuse/justify to Pancho all night)

Let me think well where is the difference and why!

1) In the first case exist the possibility to be appologing all night, if the condiotion of being late succes. So you have to use the subjuntive in this advice.

2) But, the other advice says clear "you will have to", it's something that will happen for sure being late, in the previeus case it's quite different, it's a possibility.

I see the difference, but it makes me confuss why one must be written in one way and the other in a different one. It's the problem of being a native speaker of a language, you can talk very well the language because you've heard all your life, but if you don't study the "theory" of the language you won't be able to explain well it . I'm already forgetting the few theory I've learnt in my primary and secondary school ..
  12. MaresLejanos said:

So fast, thank you! I wasn't sure if it was "se" for pancho (apologizing 'to pancho') or "te" for the person doing the apologizing. haha. Confuses me alll the time!

I have an opinion regarding "amante". I think both Zahra and Mares present valid cases. It's much the same here in the U.S. It can be good or bad. It just depends on the character of the person who's saying they have a lover, how well they are known by the person they're saying it to, and how judgmental that person is.

If you were in a store with your best girlfriend and you said "I have a great lover" since she most likely knows what's going on in your life, she'll know that you're complimenting the person with whom you're having sex. But then if someone overheard you say that to her, whether they are Mexican or American, they will most likely "assume" that you have a 3rd person OR that simply that the "lover" is just a sexual affair even if you don't have a husband or boyfriend.
    Here is the same, if someone else hear you saying it to a friend, will probably think about the third person, or just a "lover", it depends to the "mind" pf who is listen to it as well, and his/her thoughts and idiologies and other stuffs .

It's a word that could be missunderstood.

AnnaFoster said:

Hello AnnaFoster

It's llegues from "Modo subjuntivo", which indicate some possibility. But "llegas"· is from "Presente"... I'm not quite sure why, you can say:
    o
    2) - Si llegas tarde tendrás que disculparte con Pancho toda la noche. (If you are late, you'll have to excuse/justify to Pancho all night)

Let me think well where is the difference and why!
    Ahhh ok, I think I know why. "No llegues tarde" is a command. And the negative command of "llegar" is llegues which is also the subjunctive.

I like your 2nd version better anyway. ¡Muchas gracias!
  14. MaresLejanos said:

Ahhh ok, I think I know why. "No llegues tarde" is a command. And the negative command of "llegar" is llegues which is also the subjunctive.

I like your 2nd version better anyway. ¡Muchas gracias!
    You're very welcome
  15. MaresLejanos said:

o
    Mmmm... I think even I can do a merge of both sentences and they will be still ok:

2->1) Si llegas tarde estarás disculpándote con Pancho toda la noche.

1->2) No llegues tarde o tendrás que disculparte con Pancho toda la noche

Now I'm really confussed!!!!

If I'm not wrong, what is forcing the verb llegar to be in subjuntive is the word "No", you can't say: "No llegas tarde o" and either: "Si llegues tarde"..
  16. MaresLejanos said:

Where is Xiurell now , he could explain much better than I am trying.

Zahra2008 said:

@Anna .. do you actually knows someone called Pancho??? coz let me tell you sweetie, that "Pancho" here in Mexico have a sexual connotation

so, the actually meaning of the sentence it can be: don't be late or you'll be "having sex" all night

18. MaresLejanos said:

Hehehehe.. Zarha, here and in Spain we call Pancho all to all those men whose are named "Francisco", same like Pepe for all the José men, Cacho for Héctor, etc.

What's about your "Prócer": Pancho Villa!!!!

And we also call pancho to the hotdog

istanbulgal said:

Qué Panchito tan peligroso! LOL.
    Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character.
    Albert Einstein

Zahra2008 said:

Hehehehe.. Zarha, here and in Spain we call Pancho all to all those men whose are named "Francisco", same like Pepe for all the José men, Cacho for Héctor, etc.

What's about your "Prócer": Pancho Villa!!!!

And we also call pancho to the hotdog
    yeah, also here sweetie, so it depends of the context:

1. Pancho = nickname for those called Francisco

2. like I said, sexual connotation for having sex

3. and speaking about lovers, Pancho it can be the third person in a relationship ...