Spanish slang clarifications

Thread: Spanish slang clarifications

Tags: None

citlalli said:

Quote Originally Posted by dmoney101 View Post
    i got the rest because it's all cholo words (and well..i know a lot of cholos lol)

clica-click, gang
    carrucha-beat up old car
    califas-name for california

i thought rifando was smoking weed, but i guess not :P
    Woooow Dmoney!! I'm quite impressed

I knew gang as "pandilla" or "banda" and old car as "carcacha"; but I guess this changes in other parts of the country or when the ppl grew up in the US and that sort of thing.

Anyway, concerning rifando, that's the meaning I know... but maybe it has another one (I don't know any cholos jejejeje )
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

x0babiigirlx0 said:

lol thanks for your help!!! i wasn't sure if it was mexican slang or more of cholos but you've answered my question!!! =]
    x3.:EsCaRliN:.x3

3. Wicho1248 said:

Talking Calle 13

Quote Originally Posted by dmoney101 View Post
    reggaeton never was really good. it's not about the lyrics, just the beats because everyone likes to dance it.
    I've only heard one Spanish Urban artist that's a lyricist, and that's Calle 13.

Some people say they don't like his songs because they are too vulgar/don't make sense. But the thing is, that's how we speak in Puerto Rico.
    And all his songs DO make sense and every line has a point, which is what I love about Calle 13. If you understand what he's saying and all the points he's trying to get across in the songs, you'd grow to love their music.

There's just SO much Puerto Rican slang that I've had to explain even to other Boricuas the meaning and context. The lyrics have amazing poetic flow and imagery. The songs are split between funny/weird/Satirical songs and the serious/political/cultural songs.

An example of how they're misunderstood is "Tango del Pecado" The song's corus translates to

"Three spins of the ram, and *flap* you fell down the trap door. All the perverts dancing on top of volcanic lava, turn up the satanic music. Let's burn in the flames of hell with the devil, because I'm the maximum exponent of sin!"

Yea...they're music was labeled Satanic after this and people freaked out over it. But if you listen to the rest of the song and know of the real life story of the rapper and his relationship, you'll notice it's a LOVE SONG, and all the allusions to hell are because he was called "El Diablo" by the people who thought he wasn't good enough for his girlfriend. So the song is a satire trying to mess/shock his girlfriend's parents.

I think the Spanish Urban genere needs more lyricists like Residente Calle 13, that's the only thing that might save it.

x0babiigirlx0 said:

Arrow help with slang in a song!!!

anyone able to translate slang in the song oye mi canto or is there anyone who has translated that song before???

because i posted that song up but i think there's alot of puerto rican slang or dominican slang not sure but i'm stumped on it

x0babiigirlx0 said:

anyone understand songs from Don Omar with the slang he uses?

6. MasSueltoQueTu said:

Quote Originally Posted by Wicho1248 View Post
    I've only heard one Spanish Urban artist that's a lyricist, and that's Calle 13.

Some people say they don't like his songs because they are too vulgar/don't make sense. But the thing is, that's how we speak in Puerto Rico.
    And all his songs DO make sense and every line has a point, which is what I love about Calle 13. If you understand what he's saying and all the points he's trying to get across in the songs, you'd grow to love their music.

There's just SO much Puerto Rican slang that I've had to explain even to other Boricuas the meaning and context. The lyrics have amazing poetic flow and imagery. The songs are split between funny/weird/Satirical songs and the serious/political/cultural songs.

An example of how they're misunderstood is "Tango del Pecado" The song's corus translates to

"Three spins of the ram, and *flap* you fell down the trap door. All the perverts dancing on top of volcanic lava, turn up the satanic music. Let's burn in the flames of hell with the devil, because I'm the maximum exponent of sin!"

Yea...they're music was labeled Satanic after this and people freaked out over it. But if you listen to the rest of the song and know of the real life story of the rapper and his relationship, you'll notice it's a LOVE SONG, and all the allusions to hell are because he was called "El Diablo" by the people who thought he wasn't good enough for his girlfriend. So the song is a satire trying to mess/shock his girlfriend's parents.

I think the Spanish Urban genere needs more lyricists like Residente Calle 13, that's the only thing that might save it.
    I think you might of forgot vico c...and maybe voltio or that dude eddie dee now called eddie avila...Im not rican and I know this...Also tego calderon..his earlier work was more rap as opposed to reggaeton.

7. MasSueltoQueTu said:

Quote Originally Posted by x0babiigirlx0 View Post
    anyone understand songs from Don Omar with the slang he uses?
    probably..alot of times they use metaphors in reggaeton..

x0babiigirlx0 said:

lol thanks because i get confused alot when i hear his songs it's that i'm not puerto rican either i'm salvadorian so alot of it is confusing but i kind of understand only a bit of things but when it comes to slang i have no idea half the time !!

9. MasSueltoQueTu said:

Quote Originally Posted by x0babiigirlx0 View Post
    lol thanks because i get confused alot when i hear his songs it's that i'm not puerto rican either i'm salvadorian so alot of it is confusing but i kind of understand only a bit of things but when it comes to slang i have no idea half the time !!
    I can probably help you out with some of it..Im Mexican but my neighborhood is full of Puerto Ricans.

x0babiigirlx0 said:

lol gracias !!! =]

11. BabiGurl. said:

Quote Originally Posted by arux View Post
    Hey is it me or is reggaeton almost dead?
    yeah... when i listen to the radio i get that feeling.
    but you got these new artists comming out that are keeping this genre alive.
    i guess you just gotta ignore the radio...

12. Shak said:

Quisiera saber que quiere decir ALMEJILLA... aparentemente, es una mala palabra de España... Gracias!!

13. MasSueltoQueTu said:

Arriba el Hip Hop Mexicano!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Puro Kinto SoL.. Cartel De Santa..y Dyablo...Mas mensaje y letra que el reggaeton.

14. PameLaa said:

Red face

Okay I'm probably totally being blonde, but I've been thinking and looking for the translation of a couple of lines in the song 'Ponmela'... My friend who knows Spanish said it's got an aweful lot of slang in them so he doesn't understand a word of it... So I'm hoping he's right about the slang and it's not just us being stupid

The lyrics are:
    "Mucha cargan,
    malda y falda"

Thanks in advance

15. MasSueltoQueTu said:

Quote Originally Posted by PameLaa View Post
    Okay I'm probably totally being blonde, but I've been thinking and looking for the translation of a couple of lines in the song 'Ponmela'... My friend who knows Spanish said it's got an aweful lot of slang in them so he doesn't understand a word of it... So I'm hoping he's right about the slang and it's not just us being stupid

The lyrics are:
    "Mucha cargan,
    malda y falda"

Thanks in advance
    You would probably have to ask a Puerto Rican about it...all I know is that they mention something about a dress... theres also another line that I don't understand... ponmela en la bembala..

16. PameLaa said:

Quote Originally Posted by MasSueltoQueTu View Post
    ponmela en la bembala..
    Hmm I guess that was something like... give it on my lips or something... can't remember properly

ArcangelMa' said:

Hi Arux im new, and i am dominican, but my spanish horrible, you think you could find the time to help me out with it
    and can you translate this for me...
    no me ronquen bobolones

ArcangelMa' said:

Red face

de la ghetto said it lol

CorazonInquieto said:

Means "don't talk s*** about me idiots". Ronquen comes from Roncar which can mean "to talk s*** about some one" also can be used like "ronka Eliel Ronka" basically "Eliel is the best". Hope this helps!
    Por los cuentos que la luna relata, aprendí a caminar sin mapa...

20. gringito inteliginte said:

What does "descara" mean? Its a song by Yomo. and i can't find a definition for it.